TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amx engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69AMX364 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 10:25am
The only swap that this section allows is too either a later AMC engine or sell the car. On my 69 AMX that was 390 oem it went to a later Jeep AMC 360 engine that I was going to rebuild. After checking taper and crankshaft I ended up just reringing and new bearings instead. A little loose at .0025 clearance, but still in specs.
A 69 390 lives at such a ragged edge that it takes all sorts of money to keep it running. Where a 360 is so much milder that it will almost never fail. I did keep my aftermarket rev-limiter for protection along with the Accusump.
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 10:29am
Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Easily trolled again.

Yeah . . . I rose to the bait. Ouch
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by RamblinMan RamblinMan wrote:

Originally posted by nda racer nda racer wrote:

Easily trolled again.

Yeah . . . I rose to the bait. Ouch

You're not the only one, but the only one to admit it.

I'm curious to see if this goes on for another 20 pages now.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 1:20pm
I've always been curious as to why the people who respond to a post are held to a higher standard than the person who wrote the initial post...? Is this like the NFL where the player who retaliates is the one who is caught & punished? I guess we're all supposed to know intuitively that every outlandish or bizarre post is obviously by a Troll, which brings me to this...

Place this whole thread in the appropriate 'FrankenRambler' section and it will die a quick & ignominious death, deservedly so. I guess that's one (and probably the only) good thing about THAT section.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by tomjt3 tomjt3 wrote:

AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY THIS, I LITERALLY JUST FINISHED PUTTING IN A CHEVY 350 WITH VORTEX HEAD AND TURNOUT 350 TRANNY INTO MY 1970 AMX..IT HAD SUPPOSEDLY A REBUOLT 360 BUT IT KNOCKED AND SMOKED, VIBRATED REALLY BAD,I HAD CHECKED AROUND TO REBUOLT IT, AND IT WAS NOT CHEAP..AMAZING THE ONLY BIG MODIFICATION WAS MOVING MOTOR MOUNTS A COUPLE INCHES FORWARD, THE TRANNY BOLTED RIGHT UP..DRILLED A COUPLE OF HOLES FOR BOLTS IN TRANNY SUPPORT..HAD A NEW DRIVE SHAFT MADE..HEADERS FIT PERFECT.ENGINE ALL CHROME, AND NOW WITH MORE HORSE POWER I LOVE MY AMX EVEN MORE THAN I EVER DID..IT WOULD HAVE COST A SMALL FORTUNE TO TRY AND MODIFY THE AMC 360 TO GET THE POWER I AM GETTING FROM A GM CRATE MOTOR WITH 350 HP...IN AS MUCH AS IT UPSETS PEOPLE, I DON'T LIKE CHEVY ENGINE IN FORD HOT RODS..FOR ME IT WAS MY BEST MOVE, I DON'T CARE IF VALUE GOES DOWN, NOT SELLING IT ANYWAY..BUT I SURE RUNS A LOT BETTER THAN IT EVER DID..SINCE CARS ARE A HOBBY FOR ME, IT TOOK ABOUT A MONTH TO FINISH THE SWAP..TOTAL COST WITH ALL THE CHROME PARTS WAS ABOUT $4000 WITH THE BAND NEW CRATE MOTOR FROM CHEVY....NOT TRYING TO OFFEND THE DIE HARD CAR GUYS, BUT MY AMX GOES LIKE HE'LL NOW AND I LOVE IT....HAPPY MOTORING...

I'd love to see some photos of this swap, the proof is in the photo you know. Anyone interested in starting a betting board ? Winner has to pick the time and day this guy responds with photos.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - May/26/2015 at 2:27pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 6:24pm
TURNOUT 350 TRANNY ?????

Sounds like this fisherman is laying a chum line....
Gremlin Dreams
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2015 at 8:55pm
Well it Was REBUOLT.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 6:01am
This thread makes me wonder why some idiots put so much time
into spamming this forum. Gear heads that build the big three products
must really fear us.

There is a Frankenrambler section for those whom must build a blasphemous hybrid.
Gremlin Dreams
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 9:23am
Us = the AMC V8. The answer is yes.

I never feared them in the past, but after reading all the nightmare stories on here, I do.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by 69AMX364 69AMX364 wrote:

The only swap that this section allows is too either a later AMC engine or sell the car. On my 69 AMX that was 390 oem it went to a later Jeep AMC 360 engine that I was going to rebuild. After checking taper and crankshaft I ended up just reringing and new bearings instead. A little loose at .0025 clearance, but still in specs.
A 69 390 lives at such a ragged edge that it takes all sorts of money to keep it running. Where a 360 is so much milder that it will almost never fail. I did keep my aftermarket rev-limiter for protection along with the Accusump.

Funny you mention the accusump.
I wonder why more people do not use them.
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic