TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Alston type Chassis Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Alston type Chassis Question
    Posted: Jan/29/2016 at 11:47pm
I have a 1968 AMX roller/body with no title or vin and was thinking of turning into a full blown drag car.  Can anyone tell me which drag chassis works best?

I was looking at the Alston Pro-Gas Chassis but I knows Jegs makes one and a few others.

Anyone have first hand experience with one or the other?  Any advice in this general arena would be helpful as well.

Thanks

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2016 at 12:34am
The owner of this AMX id Duncan Watts. Possibly from the UK.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2016 at 7:31am
Not sure what your budget is but Jerry Bickel Racecars is just a couple of hours from here. They build some serious stuff.

http://www.jerrybickel.com/
http://www.jerrybickel.com/chassis-kits-and-stage-kits/

-Steve-

Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2016 at 8:30am
If your gonna take the kit to someone and have them install it I would find a reputable shop and let them design the cage around you. Rather than mess with a pre bent kit.

SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2016 at 9:08am
There is a fab shop in Colorado Springs Ill probably have do it.  Ill be down there next week to discuss it with him but just wanted to get some info before we talk.

I have a few options to go with this AMX body that we will discuss.

A long time ago I new a guy with an AMX that had an Alston chassis I just don't know exactly what it was.

Im also kicking around the idea of just having a Heidts Mustang II crossmember put in the front.
http://www.heidts.com/parts/crossmembers/?vm=3316581&vmd=67228618&vy=1915-2013

Glenn Quinn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 8:17am
Save the time. My AMX is still for saleWink

Edited by Glenn Quinn - Feb/01/2016 at 3:48pm
The "X", 8.74 @ 162 - N/A
amccar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 9:35am
I wish I could find an AMX roller. I passed up a seal a few years ago and have been kicking myself since.
SG128 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2016 at 5:09pm
If I'm not mistaken, I'm almost 99.9% positive that Hemi-powered AMX was at our Cecil County AMC event once many years ago and it was a different color back then too. For some reason, that small injector "hat" being quite different from the much more common Enderle (Bug, Bird, Buzzard) style really sticks in my mind....

Anyone else remember it?

-Don
Sevindeess View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sevindeess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2016 at 11:09am
Just pay attention to the material. You want chrome moly. You may never run in the 7's but if you go to sell it...the next guy might and that a huge deal breaker for race cars.
nastynash View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nastynash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2016 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

There is a fab shop in Colorado Springs Ill probably have do it.  Ill be down there next week to discuss it with him but just wanted to get some info before we talk.

I have a few options to go with this AMX body that we will discuss.

A long time ago I new a guy with an AMX that had an Alston chassis I just don't know exactly what it was.

Im also kicking around the idea of just having a Heidts Mustang II crossmember put in the front.
http://www.heidts.com/parts/crossmembers/?vm=3316581&vmd=67228618&vy=1915-2013 - http://www.heidts.com/parts/crossmembers/?vm=3316581&vmd=67228618&vy=1915-2013

Being an Alston dealer for many years I can tell you they build a good chassis and now that they are owned by Heidts there   even better and with more options now, give Mike Ruth a call there he has a soft spot for amc's and has built a number of  go fast f amx's JT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic