TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX 401 Take 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX 401 Take 6
    Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 5:16pm
You had to know it was coming Smile

Got the 401 back from the machine shop yesterday. #1-#4 main bearing clearance are 0.0015" - 0.0020" and #5 is 0.0025". Rods are 0.0023". The hope is the mains will now hold back enough oil to properly feed the cam bearings.

The Comp cam has been replaced by one from Bullet with the same grind. Modified small block Mopar windage tray installed with Ford 351W ARP studs.

-Steve-

gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 5:20pm
Let's try not to let this one get outa control.
I bet is was in the numbers and this one should run good.

My fingers are crossed for u
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 5:47pm
Have my fingers crossed for you man. I should have my 401 block back from the machine shop after the first of the year. Not to be negative in any way but I hope I don't run in to any of your issues. Best of luck to you Steve and I am sending positive vibes your way.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
xfactor View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 6:09pm
If nothing else, no one can call you a Quitter. Good luck with the build
Ray Harper 69 AMX 401
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 6:48pm
Thanks for the positive waves guys!

Forgot to mention the bearings have been coated. Engine builder says they'll hold oil better as well as protect against wear.

The next move is to install the timing cover. Then I need to figure out what mods I want to make to the Canton oil pan. The baffle in it is basically absent compared to the factory pan.

-Steve-

sasyamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sasyamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2014 at 10:45pm
did you ever fine out what was wrong , did the last build have bearing damage, good luck .
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 6:03am

I'm glad you are sticking to this build!

Are you using the same block from the last build?

crank?

rods?

Just wondering,

and GOOD LUCK! 

With everything you've been through I hope this becomes the most boring, uneventful build thread on the whole site. Smile

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 6:39am
Originally posted by sasyamx sasyamx wrote:

did you ever fine out what was wrong , did the last build have bearing damage, good luck .

My belief is the main bearing clearances were excessive. TSM says 0.001" - 0.002" and they measured nearly twice that. They're now in spec.

The cam bearings were worn again. The thinking is the mains weren't keeping enough pressure back to feed the cam bearings properly.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Dec/22/2014 at 6:42am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 6:40am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

I'm glad you are sticking to this build!

Are you using the same block from the last build?

crank?

rods?

Just wondering,

and GOOD LUCK! 

With everything you've been through I hope this becomes the most boring, uneventful build thread on the whole site. Smile

All parts except the cam are from the first build. The only change is the mains were turned 0.020" under and clearances are per the TSM.

-Steve-
RAZER View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 10:57am
You mentioned using a different cam this time, what lifters did you end up with?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic