TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX 401 Take 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX 401 Take 4
    Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 9:10am
Got the next 401 shortblock from the machine shop yesterday. It's stuffed with Wisco pistons and Molnar rods. A Rollmaster timing set turns a Comp roller cam, and it's been degreed properly. They had to take a lot of material out of the crank counterweights to balance them because the new rod/piston assemblies are quite a bit lighter than stock.

I'll post pics of the underside and the build as I go.

-Steve-
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 9:14am
Nice one,    just pack it in and send it over Wink  

Whats the Material of the Valleyline? Copper?
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 5:46pm
Yeah, it's the kit from American Performance.

-Steve-
R/W/B View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R/W/B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 11:24pm
Steve,
Did you ever find out why the other motor just would not work? I read and saw,from the pictures,the troubles you had with it.Were the cam bores off center from the factory? I am interested,have never seen or heard of this before!!!!--Bill
R/W/B Machine
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2013 at 11:48pm
What are Molnar rods?  Got pics and specs?

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 8:06am
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/molnar-technologies/molnar-connecting-rods.php

Tom Molnar was the guy behind the K1 rods and cranks.  I like the Molnar rods because they use 7/16 bolts instead of 3/8.
BB

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 10:51am
Originally posted by R/W/B R/W/B wrote:

Steve,
Did you ever find out why the other motor just would not work? I read and saw,from the pictures,the troubles you had with it.Were the cam bores off center from the factory? I am interested,have never seen or heard of this before!!!!--Bill

I disassembled the old 401 and looked at it briefly. No tell-tale signs of why it loses pressure after running for a while. It does have the same worn cam bearings as before, despite the cam tunnel being line bored. Only ran it for about 500 miles. There's gotta be a crack somewhere.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 4:09pm
More pics.

-Steve-

mcjarv View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 5:32pm
Your engine is very close to my build, Molnar rods, Wiseco pistons but I went with a #7132 Edelbrock cam and their heads, same deal in balance. Your going to like the light rotating assembly,,,,its perky.

Good Luck, Mike 

1969 S/C Rogueler
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by mcjarv mcjarv wrote:

Your engine is very close to my build, Molnar rods, Wiseco pistons but I went with a #7132 Edelbrock cam and their heads, same deal in balance. Your going to like the light rotating assembly,,,,its perky.

Good Luck, Mike 

Now you've tempted me with the Edelbrock heads..... maybe sometime in the future I can go that route.

-Steve-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
  Share Topic