TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX 390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX 390
    Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 12:41pm
Are these pretty difficult engines to find that haven't been bored beyond a safe limit?  I guess the same question applies for 343s.  Do you know of any sources for either one?

Also, what would you guys consider the best '68 and earlier cylinder head?

Thanks.

Shawn

Edited by Shawn_Watson - Apr/19/2019 at 1:01pm
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 1:12pm
put an ad in the wanted section, they are out there. To me only the 70 390 seems like the prices are high.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Shawn_Watson Shawn_Watson wrote:

Thanks.

Shawn

The 1968-1969 390 and 1967-1969 343 heads are identical. #3188558. Also, early 1967 343 heads had the 290 head casting number on them (#3178453), but the bigger 343/390 valves. 50.6cc nominal volume. My 343 heads were P&Pd with custom valves and everything and ended up at 58cc.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 9:26pm
The best factory heads would be the later model heads. If building any AMC V8 I would use those instead of early heads. 

The factory spent alot of time and effort to make the newer heads better - we might as well take advantage of it.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Shawn_Watson Shawn_Watson wrote:

Are these pretty difficult engines to find that haven't been bored beyond a safe limit?  I guess the same question applies for 343s.  Do you know of any sources for either one?

Thanks.

Shawn
How many do you  want?  We are tripping over good 390 blocks.  Call AZ AMC.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 10:05am
Gremlin Dreams
Shawn_Watson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

How many do you  want?  We are tripping over good 390 blocks.  Call AZ AMC.

Excellent!

amxgopak?

Edited by Shawn_Watson - Apr/20/2019 at 11:03am
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 11:33am
The AMX 390 is a legendary 'muscle car' engine and for that reason there are very likely people who've tended to store them away for all their potential and future collectability.

Likewise, there are people who are willing to make sure they accomplish an authentic restoration of these very rare vehicles that originally came with these powerful big CID torque-maker engines.

*One of the 'big magazines' back in the day (I think it was Road and Track) tested the '68 AMX and they had a 'big husky formidable looking' American Motors engineer there at the testing ground who was quoted for saying '...the AMX 390 was designed for 8000 rpm...' (although no factory made engines were built with the more expensive necessary parts that would allow the engine to turn 8)

IMO? ...naw, you don't need to fret over sleeving an engine; sleeving 'done right' is a race engine builder's trick to strengthen the cylinder bores against flexing and thus to make more cylinder pressure by gaining better ring seal.

See Darton Sleeve's website: all current Top Fuel engines are sleeved! = that should tell you something positive about sleeving blocks!

Enginetech, out of Dallas Tx, currently sells HD 'race' sleeves for American Motors 390/401 engines (this part interchanges with '63-'67 Cadillac 390 engine) -these are centrifugally cast? (makes the iron grain more consistent, for increased structural rigidity) and 1/8" thick (opposed to standard 3/32" thick sleeves)

*What you will need to look out for is a sleeved block that has been weakened by throwing a rod, then repaired by installing a sleeve(s).

In this case, the damage to the block is concealed, but very plausibly lost some of it's original structural rigidity. ~that's what to look out for!

I would also advocate sleeving (if it's doable) all damaged 390/401 blocks because their rarity and will serve to keep the legend alive for cars that are not going to visit the racetrack -they'll still make a great powerhouse street engine; big CID simply makes big power.

-------------------------------------------

The AMX 390 is a legendary engine and definitely worth the effort to build.

This statement is not merely my own AMC-biased opinion, rather it is a provable statistical truth that American Motor's '69/'70 SS AMX held the most annual wins in it's drag racing class for a long, long time ...'till about '92, (for about 25 years after AMX production ended!) when finally Chevy Camaro was able to accumulate enough wins to take AMX's crown.

-AMC AMX won it's NHRA SS/D ? drag racing class about 10 times, then Camaro took it when the finally won 11 annual events.

This is a lightweight 540 lb. 390 engine that has an automatic power to weight ratio advantage from the get go, juxtaposed to 700 lb. Chevy 396 'big block'.

If you wanna build one, be smart & educate yourself, and get a copy of AMC's book named "Performance American Style" -written by actual AMC engineers, where good advice and good engineering never goes out of style.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Apr/20/2019 at 11:46am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Shawn_Watson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 12:07pm
^^^Good deal^^^

Now I guess I need to find some cracked 558s to fubar up so I can see what they're capable of.

Shawn
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2019 at 3:07pm

Enginetech, out of Dallas Tx, currently sells HD 'race' sleeves for American Motors 390/401 engines (this part interchanges with '63-'67 Cadillac 390 engine) -these are centrifugally cast? (makes the iron grain more consistent, for increased structural rigidity) and 1/8" thick (opposed to standard 3/32" thick sleeves)

AMCenthusiast: 

Went to Engine Tech's website and the only cylinder sleeves listed for a AMC are 2.5 L 4 cyl.

No 63-67 Cadillac 390 cylinder sleeves listed. Let down because i have a 68 390 block at .040" and needs to go .045". Would rather sleeve it than try going with thinner cyl walls with a .045 bore. Guess it will sit in the garage corner for years to come. I was able to buy a std bore 390 block that is a running engine now. Just thinking about the future in case the new engine let's go. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic