TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX 390 HEI tach wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammertime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX 390 HEI tach wiring
    Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 10:41pm
I am replacing a Mallory Unilight electronic distributer on my AMX. The PO had it on here but it was noting but a problem to keep working. I have an HEI I want to replace it with but I am stumped on how to wire it so the tach will work. The only wire I had comming into the coil was a yellow wire. No other wire that I can find. The yellow wire appears to have been the hot side for the coil. The tach worked great, but how? There does not appear to be any lead to connect the tach side of the HEI to operate the Tach in the dash. I searched this forum for some type of diagram with no luck. Does anyone have experience with this? 
1969 AMX
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2019 at 11:25pm
there should be a spade connection on the hei in the little square part marked tach look inside there
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Hammertime View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammertime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 1:07am
I understand the tach connection on the distributor, but there is only the one yellow wire that went to the coil. If I use that to power the positive side of the distributor what do I use for the tach connection?
1969 AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 4:39am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 7:39am
FYI. 

I used the classicparts.com 47-72 filter and my factory tach is still about 500 rpm higher than my newer Bosch Tach.  I never tried my factory tach without the filter so not sure if one of them are just off or the filter is not "filtering"...

Someone on the forum also suggested this filter, but I had read that the earlier version would work better: 

I plan to take the filter off and see if it makes a difference on my factory tach.  

If I'm really 500 rpm off with the filter, I may try the GM version above to see if it makes any difference.  
You can have my Hurst shifter when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammertime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 9:58am
I have the classic parts tach filter and a pigtail. When wiring them I am questioning if I run the yellow to the tach pigtail on the HEI and utilize a relay for the hot to the HEI using the ignition on to trigger the relay if this may work. My big fear is doing something that could destroy the Tach
1969 AMX
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 10:21am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammertime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 10:38am
I can not get that link to open. Also searched the title and it does not show on the search.
1969 AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 11:02am
I think the paste function got messed up before the reply had completed.

Here is a fixed link, that works.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/hei-ignition-and-factory-tachometers_topic46458.html
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hammertime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 11:14am
Great that link worked good. I am going to experiment with this a bit this week and see what I can figure out.
1969 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic