TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX/3 Reproductions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 1:26am
Awesome, Tom! Very best of luck with this. I'd love to be a customer some day.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 3:36am
odd, this  site(http://www.AMX390.com) was blocked at work. 
will have a look at home. thx!
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 11:11am
It’s because an AMX3 is too hot.
Dan1500 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan1500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2019 at 11:24am
That's funny it was for me too
JAD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2019 at 10:54pm
This  looks every bit as good as any modern high end sports car design.
rowen01960 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowen01960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2020 at 12:34am
So ... I have been designing/developing composite structures for 35+ years for Airframers and OEM Vehicles ... NRC (Non-Recurring Tooling Costs) have and always be the biggest financial stressor on large composite components. The “touch Labour” content is next in line ... material costs and the processing of them is third in line ... but only if we continue with 1950-1990’s technology! I have spent the last 5 years trying to develop a matrix/reinforcement/process technology that provides a reasonably close approximation of isotropic metal properties with a high deposition/form rate without tooling/moulds. 

Studies so far indicate that a 2m wide x 4m long x 2m high Monocoque/Body can be “printed” in 100 minutes. It requires a 320minute post cure at 150c and an abrasive wash for 120minutes to provide a 0.0005% dimensionally repeatable structure with a 25micron surface finish. 

I am looking for an application for the large format machine I am currently developing. An AMX/3 monocoque would work as a Tech Demonstrator provided adequate CAD data was available for print programming on my end. 

Current estimated cost to “print” is 100-125USD/kg ... the variance is to accommodate chemistry requirements to meet overall monocoque Bending/Torsional Stiffness requirements. 

So if a composite AMX/3 “monocoque”  or BIW is estimated at 125kg ... the cost would be 12,500-15,625 USD for a complete BIW ... Closures, Detachables are additional weights not part of the BIW structure.

Is this sufficiently attractive for a ready to prime, bolt-up only BIW? ... no min buys are required as no tooling changes required in the mfg line.

Comments questions are appreciated

Edited by rowen01960 - Mar/29/2020 at 12:38am
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2020 at 12:50am
Then this guy shows up. Advanced composites. More advanced than pre preg. Holy mackerel. 
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowen01960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2020 at 1:10am
Yup ... :-) ... 35years of prepreg exposure has taught me a few things ... :-) ... prepreg is a “cash cow” for weavers and prepreggers ... especially for CF! ... I have had to compromise design and product cost to accommodate their pricing and production schedule ... at 62 I am weary!

Photopolymerization moves the layup tech to print programming AND eliminates the multimillion $ Auto fibre/tape placement machines, the part specific moulds and the autoclaves.  

A 16m3 working volume printer has a solidity capacity of ~50%! which means it can deposit/green-form a 30,000 kg part in 100min .... wide band multi carriage filament winders cannot achieve those rates ... so yes BIW with their typical 0.005% solidity are not a problem .... getting large format monochromatic TFT LCD screens are ... :-)
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2020 at 8:38am
I purchased a CAD file of the AMX/2 a bit over a year ago, it needs a few changes to the body and I'm slowly learning a CAD program to do so. I intend to build it one day. Looks like it's what you're looking for.

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowen01960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2020 at 10:31am
401 Ambo  ... nice! ... I found a hires PolyMesh model on Hum3D.com. I have lofted CAD surfaces from Mesh models, but this one did not quite look right to develop reasonable Master Curves. Coupling the suspect poly model with poor to no 3VU/4VU drawings on the web make even 75$ a poor investment.

Your CAD model does look Good, does it correlate well to WB, FOH, ROH, Tracks, Wheel/Tire dimensions? If it does, I would be willing to parse it (OML) into it’s MEOP IML surface components and my proposed sized/FMVSS capable semi-monocoque. I can accept any Native File format and return it in any native or Neutral CAD format you would like. The components would be provided as an assy that you could parse for individual Layup tools for Doors, decks, Roof, Sides, Cowls, and Glazing Form Tools ... there is a DOT approved stateside Safety/Tempered Glass mfg with reasonable costs for 1-10 off articles.

My intention is to initially digitally simulate the print/build process (material weights/cost correlation) and then digitally simulate the FMVSS crashworthiness to update the initial material definition. Full Scale Critical components will then be printed and tested for crash correlation. This will provide confidence to build the large format printer (475kUSD!) I will then print the Full BIW for the complete FMVSS Frontals/Side/Rear and Roll Test Suite ... 8-10 Test articles. 

This will provide concept validation for the AMX/2-3... and Development Confidence for other Vehicles 

Pls PM me if you want to discuss further ... thx for the info!

Edited by rowen01960 - Mar/29/2020 at 10:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>
  Share Topic