TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

American weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Rumblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American weight
    Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 6:53am
Anyone know the typical weight of a '64 American with a 401/TH400?
'65 Marlin 327/BW AT (for now)
'64 American 440H 401/TH400
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 8:41am
  How many 64 Americans with a 401/th400 do you think are out there ??

The 401 is just a few pounds heavier than the 290-360 because of some block reinforceing and some forged components,  so maybe 560-575 lbs. But could be less if you've got a aluminum manifold, water pump, etc.
  The TH400 is about the heaviest of the 3 sp autos out there,  I have no exact #s.  At least 150 lbs.  
 Then whatever rear end you have in it gonna affect the weight.

A 64 American 2 dr sd with no options was in the 2600 lbs region.  Hardtops are heavier.

I think the only way to know for sure is go to a salvage yard and slip them a little money and maybe they'll let you use their drive on scale.  It works for me.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 8:36pm
If I were to venture a guess, it would be around 3000 lbs.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Thomasr View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 10:20pm
its not a  401th400 but it might give you some idea if it has similar mods; my 1964 rambler american is a 2dr hdtp/304(my guess is its the heaviest engine) and 904 trans(lightest trans?)/9" ford rear 11"drums rear/concord discs front/about 35lbs of car stereo/front and rear addco swaybars/alum intake and 4bbl/heddman full lngth headers and 2.5"dual exhst/15x7" champ 500 aluminum wheels with 205 frt 235 rear tires and full bench seat front and rear weighs in at exactly 3180lbs on a set of digital intercomp scales

in stark contrast my 70 amx restoration project with a 290 in place of the original 360 and all factory parts in place,4spd trans,no ac,no powerbrakes,vac wipers,drums all around,no handling pak,no options weighs exactly 2796lbs Wink

Mr Rumblur View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Rumblur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2011 at 6:01am
Cool. I had forgotten to mention it's a hardtop and have now added that to my sig Clap Good to have the reminder that they're heavier.

Thanks to tyrodtom and 6768rogues for their willingness to guesstimate and thanks to Thomasr for your willingness to share your obvious awesome documentation! Looks like if I was very worried about having a light car I should be building an AMX Cool

As mentioned, scales are the only way to know my weight for sure but just wanted a ballpark. Thanks again guys!
'65 Marlin 327/BW AT (for now)
'64 American 440H 401/TH400
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic