TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

american rearend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

[QUOTE=billd]So why in the world are you even here? All you do is trash AMC stuff - you trash the engines, the drive trains, the cars in general. You never seem to have anything but hate for them and anger toward them  or the owners who love and support them.
Why aren't you smacking around Chevy owners instead?

My language has left you short sighted and confused with ridiculous vitriol. I'll trash the AMC stuff for being trash, not because of brand loyalty or some other ego thing. AMC was already ahead of its time but I've had issues from the start that needed sorting out. After a revolving door of fatal weaknesses I found great success in my own AMC builds done in exceptional ways that people here would like to cherry pick for themselves. I said it took me 10 years to figure out why people do the SBC swap, not that it took me 10 years of fighting old cars only to give up on the AMC platform. Money is a problem for everyone but I value something else. My costs add up because nobody these days makes a simple car that can survive my brutal freeway habits and transmission shops don't care about these things. Regular shops here will outright refuse AMCs because they're too scared to work on them.[QUOTE]

Really? Bild is the "short sighted and confused with ridiculous vitriol", one? I think you need to do some self reflecting.

"Not because of brand loyalty or some other ego thing". It's obvious that brand loyalty is not a concern of yours; you bad mouth the very product you own. And, I'm pretty sure we all know who here has an ego problem.

" I'll trash the AMC stuff for being trash." "AMC was already ahead of its time but I've had issues from the start that needed sorting out." Talk about contradicting one's self! First they're trash then they were ahead of they're time. While being ahead of one's time 40+ years ago means they are outdated today, doesn't mean that they are trash. Neglected and abused vehicles are trash and that is what your seem to purchase. Maybe that's what you can afford, as with many of us, but, harboring distain for the brand because of YOUR decision to purchase a clapped out vehicle is childish.

"My costs add up because nobody these days makes a simple car that can survive my brutal freeway habits and transmission shops don't care about these things. Regular shops here will outright refuse AMCs because they're too scared to work on them." So you don't care enough about your vehicles to respect them and not drive them into the ground? I'm a full time, certified, auto tech/mechanic; I work on vehicles driven by people that treat them in this manner. If you're going to drive it that way then it's no one's fault for the time after time failure of certain components, particularly when said components have been either rebuilt or replaced by several different people/companies/outfits/manufactures and the only constant variable is you the driver. A transmission rebuilder can only do so much to bulletproof a trans from it's ignorant owner (and, yeah, I'm aware that finding a good trans guy is difficult).

As for "regular shops" being too scared to work on AMCs; not many "regular shops" want to work on antique/classic/muscle cars. This is because the aforementioned cars seldom need the routine maintenance that today's cars require and parts aren't often stocked in the local parts store. Turn around time is slower and this business income shows down. When you're a tech on flat rate it's awfully difficult to make your usual production when taking on an antique car. On top of that, there are fewer and fewer techs that are able to diagnose and tune carbs and points ignition (or any ignition system with a distributor).

Why you haven't been banned is beyond me. I've sat idling by through your posts and rants until as of late, but, I really can't stand to do that anymore. If your going to insist on acting like a jacka$$ please leave.

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 5:54pm
I  stand behind AMC 100% 4 million you tube views preaching the advanced engineering of AMC especially in the the short time they had to catch up...Maybe this isn`t the forum to ask a simple question about the strength of an AMC rear because he`s using a SBC.. But i didn`t see the reason for the red pissed off face what are we back in high school....I just spent 2 1/2 hour rebuilding a fuel pump because it`s no longer made   and yes i did place an add in the wanted section with no results...so the parts are more difficult to get and i guess some guy`s don`t like dealing with collectible parts and hoarder`s...... I guess you never know what`s going to set some people off...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 8:32am
So how about let's stop this in it's tracks? Enough has been said that is OFF TOPIC!! No help for the original poster at all. The obligatory "you could put an AMC engine in with AC" have been made...

That said, American65, since you are planning on putting something other than an AMC engine in, please make a new post in the "Frankenrambler" section. If your questions pertain to the engine swap, post there. If it's about the stock front suspension or anything stock, post in the appropriate section. Suspension mods and such are usually tolerated in the appropriate sections, just not engine swaps. Most newcomers don't know what the "Frankenrambler" section is for -- mainly engine swaps of something other than AMC.
Frank Swygert
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 2:29pm
Perfect answer...Thank You
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic