TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

american rearend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 10:04pm
It took me 10 years to figure out the SBC swappers do so out of frustration. These are ordinary people that bought an AMC for the original reasons when it was first presented to them ages ago. Having, maintaining or building an AMC V8 is the WORST decision they can ever consider because next to the Ford FE it is one of the least cost effective platforms of all ICEs. Why would anyone pour time, money and all kinds of energy into something that they ultimately may never get 100%? It takes more than money, which almost nobody seems to have anymore.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 10:36pm
So why in the world are you even here? All you do is trash AMC stuff - you trash the engines, the drive trains, the cars in general. You never seem to have anything but hate for them and anger toward them  or the owners who love and support them.
Why aren't you smacking around Chevy owners instead?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by one bad rambler one bad rambler wrote:

Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Originally posted by american65 american65 wrote:

thank you very much that tells me what i needed and then some. and i new i would have to change drive shaft and u-joints but i can get a off set u-joint to mate the larger gm shaft to the smaller yoke on the axle. i have done that before. rockandrambler, my car did not come with a/c it actually had zero options, not even a radio. it has the block off panel still in place. I purchased it from the original owner that bought it new in 65 and nothing has ever been touched on the car.

What I meant was that A/C was an option on the '65 Americans and you didn't need to put in a SBC to have it. You could add it to your 196.
I am brand loyal...but i don`t see the problem with a SBC swap...Let`s face it there cheap and easy to get parts for...When was the last time you saw a Willys Americar..a 32 ford..34 ford..a t bucket...even fox body Mustangs with there org brand engine...It`s the freedom of building a project the way you want that keeps the hobby going...some guys dont want to place wanted add`s and hunt down parts to build an engine...With that said put a 440 Mopar in it

Because in most cases the reasons are actually excuses - and it seems many are trying as hard to convince themselves as they are others, or they are hoping someone else will give them a nudge as they are unsure.
It's quite often a cop-out, it's also a matter of not wanting to learn other things - any dummy knows SBC - they are cheap, a dime a dozen, parts are laying around in garages and basements everywhere, there's zero challenge in the SBC thing.
Time and money as an excuse doesn't usually cut it unless the person lives in Russia or China where they can't get free engines - yes, I said FREE. I've seen folks even on this forum giving away 360s. And the parts to make a 360 go are just as simple to find and just as cheap.
There are at times legit reasons and the car's owner has seriously thought it through, has plans, and solid reasons. 
But it's the excuses that ruffle most folks - reasons are one thing, but "I can't find any AMC engines" is bunk. 

As far as when was the last time I saw cars such as you mentioned with original power plants - uh, you don't know the guys around here....... as my neighbor, an Iowa Good Guys rep, has on his cars "Just say no to valve covers" - he runs flat head engines........... and makes them scream. dual carbs, and other cool and creative stuff......... yeah, a 49 coup with original flat head engine, runs at the salt flats almost every year. 
it's more common than you think! The rodders around here aren't afraid to be CREATIVE and keep their old engines.

People are free to do whatever, and we even added that frankenrambler section a while back to have a place for 'em. It's the claiming of things that just aren't so that bugs folks, the excuses rather than reasons, and how some appear to be trying to convince themselves as much as others.
Making a decision or choice without all information isn't good - at least check into the facts, and then if the choice is still swap stuff in and out, fine. 
I guess that's what bugs me - people who haven't even bothered getting facts or learning........ and who use excuses rather than reasons, or who say "there aren't any engines out there" when I've seen them given away - free for the taking.
Use reasons based on research and facts, not excuses or junk based on "bubba's cousin told me...."
We fully support reasons and solid choices - and absolutely help in those cases.
But we also are here to correct misconceptions or bad info.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

So why in the world are you even here? All you do is trash AMC stuff - you trash the engines, the drive trains, the cars in general. You never seem to have anything but hate for them and anger toward them  or the owners who love and support them.

My language has left you short sighted and confused with ridiculous vitriol. I'll trash the AMC stuff for being trash, not because of brand loyalty or some other ego thing. AMC was already ahead of its time but I've had issues from the start that needed sorting out. After a revolving door of fatal weaknesses I found great success in my own AMC builds done in exceptional ways that people here would like to cherry pick for themselves. I said it took me 10 years to figure out why people do the SBC swap, not that it took me 10 years of fighting old cars only to give up on the AMC platform. Money is a problem for everyone but I value something else. My costs add up because nobody these days makes a simple car that can survive my brutal freeway habits and transmission shops don't care about these things. Regular shops here will outright refuse AMCs because they're too scared to work on them.

When I finally looked at the statistics of redoing an AMC mid-block vs building up a SBC 350, the machine labor, parts availability, future-proofing and upgrade path discovery is infinitely more desirable and easier than piecemealing an AMC. The SBC is the most popular, inexpensive(NOT cheap) and capable powerplant of its size and will fit into anything but my pickups. I never had any serious problems with mismanaged engines until I started poking around under the hoods of Ford pickups and AMC V8 powered AMC/JEEPs rotting away in abandon. Neglect is on the owner but I've recently discovered other issues concerning electrical and all that is on the factory.

The junkyards have been very forgiving to these old engine castings but the L6 will always be a holy grail engine to me because it can endure the absolute worst and still come out a victor. That goes both for the AMC 28X and the Ford 240/300. It's just as likely the Chevy L6 would be a capable engine but I've never found one that runs. Had to give up many chances at buying a Chevy because it's been such a massive problem. The most recent one was a great 67 Impala with unknown CID and a 2spd. The upgrade path for this is unknown to me but I always wonder if there existed modern expansion for it in the form of a better flowing head, MPFI, lightweight crankshafts, electric fan replacement, HD radiator, OD transmission options, trick suspension, electronic power steering, etc. But I already saw all of that with the AMC, so I try not to think what if. I'm certain the Javelin is more fun than any Chevy loyalist ever sees in their lifetime anyhow.
1971 Javelin SST

1983 American Limited
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 9:17pm
I`m not sure if the statement`s were directed at me...My point was whats the difference what engine he runs as long as he keeps the hobby going...Maybe he has very little cash flow and he`s using whats on hand...maybe he`s more comfortable working on Chevy`s ....I`m not going to judge....But every time a Chevy engine get`s mentioned guy`s get twisted and the red angry face come`s out....Why doesn`t anyone get tweaked when a Ford rear is swapped in....We use GM Dist. ...GM Transmission`s...Mopar Transmissions...Ford Ignition system`s...Gm 4 cyl. ..Buick V6`s... GM power steering...GM steering column`s....I guess i don`t get.... My latest build has an AMC engine  Mopar Trans  Chevy drive shaft and a Ford Rear...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 10:06pm

People are free to do whatever, and we even added that frankenrambler section a while back to have a place for 'em. It's the claiming of things that just aren't so that bugs folks, the excuses rather than reasons, and how some appear to be trying to convince themselves as much as others.

Use reasons based on research and facts, not excuses or junk based on "bubba's cousin told me...."
We fully support reasons and solid choices - and absolutely help in those cases.
But we also are here to correct misconceptions or bad info.

i'm with billd here -- even as a one willing to do unmentionable things to Ramblers -- and one who's constantly broke -- we're not here to save money, we are here to be fans of AMC as best we can manage. i'll critique AMC engineering, hopefully in context and somewhat lovingly (it helps i actually can see and appreciate their design decisions) but not only is there no shortage of AMC engines and parts, it's hard to even give them away.

when is a "350" ever a good choice? it's a fine motor -- but (1) the very cars that easily accept V8's (mostly everything after '65) already have plentiful AMC engines -- 360 anyone? -- and (2) for the problematic chassis, like my fav early Americans, at least choose an engine appropriate for the application.

chopping up an AMC -- or a Simca, or a Yugo, 65 Mustang, or a brit sports car -- and cramming in the usual store-bought 350, auto trans, mustang II and rear end from the summit catalog -- first off, isn't even a brand-specific thing, it's making a cookie-cutter cliche.  and there's more than enough venues for that already.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 11:00pm
I love my new AMC 360 with a beefed up 904 in my 69 Rambler! I did put in an 8.8 rear because it hauls &as on the freeway with 2.73 gears and the AMC 15 would be laying on the road by now. It was worth the $ (not much more than a Cheby 350) to have AMC fun! Having a blast.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 11:27pm

Why doesn`t anyone get tweaked when a Ford rear is swapped in....We use GM Dist. ...GM Transmission`s...Mopar Transmissions...Ford Ignition system`s...Gm 4 cyl. ..Buick V6`s... GM power steering...GM steering column`s....I guess i don`t get.... My latest build has an AMC engine  Mopar Trans  Chevy drive shaft and a Ford Rear...

See, the thing about that, nobody really understands half the stupid stuff people will do to an American car but you've really gotta wonder about people that replace whatever major just broke with an exact copy. It's hard enough balancing money and courage but harder when those two things are the life blood behind these old cars.
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

8.8 rear because it hauls &as on the freeway with 2.73 gears and the AMC 15 would be laying on the road by now. It was worth the $ (not much more than a Cheby 350) to have AMC fun! Having a blast.

Have you considered other axles or was this the least point of resistance with added durability? I'm half tempted to give up looking for an elusive drop-in 44(probably from a Scout) and just do the 8.8 swap, especially if I can find a 2.72 geared model that doesn't need anything more than cleanup, seals and new oil. Ermm
1971 Javelin SST

1983 American Limited
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 4:48am

x2. Way I see it, why even mess with cars? So many things you say is wrong.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 8:54am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Why doesn`t anyone get tweaked when a Ford rear is swapped in....We use GM Dist. ...GM Transmission`s...Mopar Transmissions...Ford Ignition system`s...Gm 4 cyl. ..Buick V6`s... GM power steering...GM steering column`s....I guess i don`t get.... My latest build has an AMC engine  Mopar Trans  Chevy drive shaft and a Ford Rear...

See, the thing about that, nobody really understands half the stupid stuff people will do to an American car but you've really gotta wonder about people that replace whatever major just broke with an exact copy. It's hard enough balancing money and courage but harder when those two things are the life blood behind these old cars.

Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

8.8 rear because it hauls &as on the freeway
with 2.73 gears and the AMC 15 would be laying on the road by now. It
was worth the $ (not much more than a Cheby 350) to have AMC fun!
Having a blast.

Have you considerer other axles or was this the least point of resistance with added durability?
I'm half tempted to give up looking for an elusive drop-in 44(probably from a Scout) and just do the 8.8
swap, especially if I can find a 2.72 geared model that doesn't need
anything more than cleanup, seals and new oil. Ermm

No, I did not consider other axles. I found one locally for $150, chopped one side down, got another small side axel, had it welded and installed new brake parts. I also found a Javelin drive shaft that a local drive shaft shop cut down to size with new u-joint. It works exceptionally well with my engine and tranny.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Feb/17/2018 at 9:00am
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic