TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMERICAN REAREND SWAP QUESTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMERICAN REAREND SWAP QUESTION
    Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 6:15pm
GUYS

I HAVE A 65 IM WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS USED A  FORD RANGER REAR END?
I THINK THE WIDTH IS CORRECT JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS PUT SOMETHING UNDER AN AMERICAN WITHOUT NARROWING AND IT WORK. 
IF YOU HAVE PLEASE CHIME IN..ITS NOT ABOUT HOLDING POWER BUT BETTER BRAKES AND THE ABILITY FOR ME TO FIND PARTS EASY..THESES REAR ARE IN THE U PULL IT YARDS  

LET ME KNOW
THANKS
RAMBLERGUY
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 6:28pm
Please do not cap your letters, its like YELLING......................................

As for the Ranger rears, the 4 cylinders and small V6's have a 7.5 inch rear, the ones with the 4.0's have the 8.8.  and the '93 --up Rangers are wider too.
ramblerguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 8:09pm
sorry
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by ramblerguy ramblerguy wrote:

sorry
Not a problem, just wanted you to be aware..................
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 9:43pm
For the "best" of the bunch you are looking for a 90-92 Ranger with an 8.8" axle. It carries the exact width you need lots of gear options, pretty easy to put disc brakes on even thoung the drum will do the deed. Been casually looking for one witha 3:55 gear set in it for a whiel now.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
65 Ambassador Ragtop rustbucket
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 Mitsubishi Lancer S.E.
bamarambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamarambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 9:49pm
I have a 1967 american and have had the same thoughts as you regarding brakes and availability of parts. Had a quick look under my daughters 1995 mustang with a measuring tape. The good news - the width seems to be within  about a half inch of my american, it is 5 lug, and it has disc brakes! The bad news- it is a coil spring rear end. It's not a major deal to cut the coil spring stuff off and weld on leaf spring perches, but I would do a lot more measuring first. I'm still thinking this one over... and over.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 10:05pm
If you use offsett wheels to go with the mustang it will work.
The 80-82 ranger rear allows you to manitain factory width and bolt pattern
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
65 Ambassador Ragtop rustbucket
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 Mitsubishi Lancer S.E.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2009 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

For the "best" of the bunch you are looking for a 90-92 Ranger with an 8.8" axle. It carries the exact width you need lots of gear options, pretty easy to put disc brakes on even thoung the drum will do the deed. Been casually looking for one witha 3:55 gear set in it for a whiel now.
and to get the 8.8, the truck has to have a 4.0 in it.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2009 at 9:35am
Since the Explorer is pretty much a sport utility of the Ranger, I would look into those also. They already have disc brakes and have leaf spring perches which are much easier to cut off and replace than all that Mustang stuff. I have an Explorer 8.8 in my 72 Javelin. I jusy installed 06 Mustang wheels with 2" spacers to get the width I needed but without the spacers, the wheels would tuck in nice in a narrower car. You would probably still need a spacer in the front so the deeply offset Mustang wheels won't rub the suspension. I only have $290 in my wheels, tires and 4-2" spacers. There are lots of Explorers showing up at the yards now thanks to the tax payer money for clunkers law. The Mercury version even has torque links. If you get an Explores rear, make sure you get the parking brake cables as they have a special end link for the axle end.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2009 at 9:42am
Originally posted by prostreetamx prostreetamx wrote:

Since the Explorer is pretty much a sport utility of the Ranger, I would look into those also. They already have disc brakes and have leaf spring perches which are much easier to cut off and replace than all that Mustang stuff. I have an Explorer 8.8 in my 72 Javelin. I jusy installed 06 Mustang wheels with 2" spacers to get the width I needed but without the spacers, the wheels would tuck in nice in a narrower car. You would probably still need a spacer in the front so the deeply offset Mustang wheels won't rub the suspension. I only have $290 in my wheels, tires and 4-2" spacers. There are lots of Explorers showing up at the yards now thanks to the tax payer money for clunkers law. The Mercury version even has torque links. If you get an Explores rear, make sure you get the parking brake cables as they have a special end link for the axle end.
And it will be wider, which is what you dont want in an american.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic