TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - American pedal swap for auto to manual conversion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

American pedal swap for auto to manual conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American pedal swap for auto to manual conversion
    Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 11:35am
Hi,

I have a 1966 American 232 six automatic and am considering at some point in the future to convert it to a 4-5 speed, either with the 232 or a 4.0FI or a V8. I did this years ago in my youth(~1979) with a 68 AMX, grabbing a complete manual transmission driveline - everything, including pedal assemblies - from a Rebel in a wrecking yard near Syracuse.

Not easy to find today or cheap!

So, I'm wondering what people do today, specifically around replacing the pedal assemblies so you have a clutch pedal. What pedal assemblies out there, I'm assuming this is just using old AMC/Jeep parts, are compatible and will bolt into my 66's pedal assembly?

If there are other clutch pedal options that are easier to source, please share your knowledge!

Thanks!

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 12:01pm
66 to 69 American pedals bolt right in...not sure about 64 and 65
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
CDNragtop View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 12:38pm
Yes I figured that would work fine but thanks for the confirmation. While casually looking for other parts online I noticed pics of a very rusted out 66 online in a wrecking yard with a complete 232 manual drivetrain still in it. I saw the pedals were still there too. It is halfway across the continent so no thought of me just dropping in.

I was wondering if there are other easier and more modern and plentiful pedal options out there for a conversion, like from a Jeep. If I can only use AMC pedals from say 66-70 or so, I may contact the yard and see what they want for the pedal assembly.

Thanks!
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 4:16pm
I believe 64,65 are the same. I ended using pedals out of an 80 Spirit in my 64 American. The cross shaft on the Spirit pedals were a smaller diameter, so ended up fabricating bushings to make up the difference.

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 4:22pm
I used the pedal assembly ,  and every other part of the clutch linkage, except the Z-bar, and Z-bar pivot supports, from a 69 American 6 cylinder, to convert a 70 Hornet V8 to a straight stick.

I had to shorten the Z-bar,  and fabricate some pivot brackets,  but nothing difficult.

If I had been converting from a small bellhousing 6 cylinder to another  small bellhousing 6 cylinder it would have been a bolt on .  If it can be done that way, newer assembly into older the opposite would work too.  In other words,  70 and up small body clutch assemblies would work too.

You would have to do the same adapting on the Z-bar and pivots that I did to use the larger bellhousing of the later 6's .

I converted my 66 automatic American to a straight stick 4.0,  but I did it with parts just laying around,  that I'm not sure what their source were.  Probably also from old AMC's,  but I'm not sure.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 8:16am
So looks like all the small cars will interchange, with some mods required (bushings for Hornet/Concord/Gremlin/Spirit shafts). Big car pedals will likely work as well -- but all AMC. The 64 American was designed to use as many parts from the 63-64 Classic as possible -- even uses the doors of the 63-64 Classic, just different window frames (removable on those models) and outer skins. Pedals should work also. The only exception might be the Matador Coupe... it has lots of unique parts, and a Pacer. Pacer pedals are probably the same as big car though.
Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 9:59am
I would go to a junk yard, get a Chevy S10 pedal (or eBay) and use a Lokar cable. The pedals are cheap and the whole set up is way below $100. I have done it on several vehicles.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic