TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC's in local magazines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2013 at 7:32pm
The yellow one has NSW rego plates so must have passed an inspection. I would like to see how he put lap/sash belts in the back to comply. Then again, the blower through the bonnet would make it instantly defectable here.
As for the Aussie one going back to the US, well, I'm to blame for that.

Edited by 74gremx - Apr/19/2013 at 7:36pm
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2013 at 3:22am
The yellow one could be licensed as a 2 seater, that would solve any rear seatbelt problems. Possibly also licensed before the hole was cut in the bonnet too.
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 4:55am
I am going to try and get this GIZMO Gremlin to the Chryslers on the Murray 2014 for sure. Would be nice to have a standard Gremlin as well though. Also depending on the year you wouldn't need rear seatbelts. I think up to late 70?. My Hornet didn't come with any although when I sold it the first time back in 1992ish when I bought it back a year later the old fella had put some rear seatbelts in which I was a bit cut about as the sail panels were unmarked until he put a hole through them for seatbelts for his kids. Gremlins could get away with only being a 2 seater no worries I would reckon?
On another subject but related to AMC's in magazines I remember seeing an article (can't remember if internet or magazine) about a local Hornet that got the Mercedes treatment!!! for a wealthy customer. At first glance you couldn't even pick it as it looked like a factory Merc but for the life of me I can't seem to find it again on web or in any of my magazine's. Was I dreaming or has somebody also seen this car? Smile
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 5:56am
Originally posted by 74gremx 74gremx wrote:

The yellow one has NSW rego plates so must have passed an inspection. I would like to see how he put lap/sash belts in the back to comply. Then again, the blower through the bonnet would make it instantly defectable here.
As for the Aussie one going back to the US, well, I'm to blame for that.

Is that the one and only Aussie Gremlin being loaded up for the US? Cry
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 7:06am
Yes, that's the one. Here it is in Pennsylvania in 2010, just prior to the AMO show in Detroit. We'd only just finished it 2 days before.

Off we go !

Made it !

Winner !

Now, you see the magazine the owner's holding up ? That's a Wheels magazine, November 1970. Some of you might have that one; it's got the Gremlin on the front. That's all he had to go by to restore the car.

Aussie flags are a nice touch, but some Yanks thought they were NZ flags.

On the seatbelt thing, I'll start a separate thread as this one's drifting off a bit (my fault)
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

68 aussie javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 aussie javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2013 at 10:44pm
Craig Stacey's Javelin has a nice picture in the June 2013 Street Machine page 61.
Cheers Mark
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2016 at 7:16pm
There is an article on Clem Smiths 1955 AMC built Hudson Hornet with Twin H-Power in the recent edition of Restored cars (May-June #236). This car was at the 2nd annual AMC/Rambler show in 2015 where the article's photo's were taken and is a totally original and unrestored car. Its amazing how a car that old can be preserved and still look near new after 60years!  
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 12:15am
Hi everyone

Look out in Retro Auto's online magazine for a few articles on AMC's over the next few issues. David Burrell the editor is currently doing articles on our AMI (Australian Motor Industries) assembled cars. Coming very soon is stories on the Australian Javelin's, Hornet and I think Classic's with many more to come. I think he is looking at a series over about 18months. It is a great magazine with many photo's and info you don't see anywhere else. All previous issues are available to view as well. And its free :-)

usually you view from the Shannons website but it can be found by googling etc as well. Some well researched articles and really looking forward to the AMC one's

For our American followers there is lots of US stuff as well. The one about what the original Oldsmobile Toronado was really supposed to look like is amazing. The shorter version is one smart looking car

Anyhow latest version is below. Once on this page press link to magazine

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/news/retroautos-may-2017-xr-falcon-gts-50th-anniversary/

I have already put David Burrell onto a couple of cars to get started and as he asks for more I will put the word out for original examples and any other information he may be after

Happy AMC'ing

Edited by 70Hornet - May/26/2017 at 12:18am
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 4:33pm
An article on AMI (Australian Motor Industries" in this edition of "Survivor Car Australia" and a 2 door Rebel on back page of Restored Cars magazine form NZ
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 8:40pm
Retro Auto magazine that is one of the better magazines around these days (this one on-line only) has an article on the Hornet's featuring one of the nicest original Australian assembled Hornets left in Australia. This car will be at next years show again for everyone to have a look at. 

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/news/retroautos-october-2017-exclusive-ford-ltd-prototypes-plus-67-valiant-v870horne/

and click "View Magazine"

David will be doing a few AMC's over the course of the next 18months

To show there is some genuine interest in AMC's try to leave some comments about the article and Hornets and AMC's in general. The more people that do the more they will see the interest in AMC's. It will only take you a minute to do and Shannons use comments to gauge what they will keep doing or avoid. Lets show them AMC's really were and are an important part of the Australian motoring landscape Smile  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic