TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC20 Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC20 Advice
    Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 7:16am
I'm about to embark on putting an AMC20 rear end together to go in my Gremlin. The primary purpose of this car is to go drag racing with slicks and maybe a little bit of tarmac rally/motorkhana stuff, probably won't see any normal road use. Will initially run a fairly stock 360 and 727 and would aim to eventually see it run low 11s with future upgrades.

At this stage I have an AMC20 housing out of a Hornet, new Truetrac centre, new 4.10 gears and an install kit. I also have a pair of Moser axles that I originally bought for my 69 Javelin, so I'm hoping to use those with a bit of a Dr Diff style trim if necessary to make them fit.

I will probably get someone to install the centre and setup the gears to make sure it's done right. AMC20 rear ends aren't exactly commone here, so just need to know if there any traps I should look out for with the installation side of things to watch out for? I'm thinking a crush sleeve eliminator would be a good idea, I think they use the same one as a 9", so hoping I can source one locally.

Is there anything I should be doing with the housing, I see some people reinforce the spring perches and weld the axle tubes in?

Should I run the bigger 10" x 2" rear drum brakes on it or leave the original narrower ones on there?
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 7:27am
On the brake drums, a 10 x 2 is standard size, uses a 10 x 1 3/4" shoe.  the heavy duty drum uses a 10 x 2 1/2" shoe.  The drum is significantly heavier and would add to your rotating mass on the rear axle.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 7:44am
Cool, I didn't check the drum width, just know I have fat and skinny ones available to me.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 8:58am
Be sure with the Moser axles that there is enough spline to cut some off. you may be better off selling them to a Javelin/AMX owner and buying some of the Dr. Diff axles.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 11:27am
Somewhere I read an article, I wanna say it was in the Tough Americans newsletter from NAMDRA, about a fella in the Illinois area who rebuilt his AM20 for road racing.It may be on here too just can't remember.

From memory,

Reason for staying with a 20 instead of Ford 9 inch is because 20 is lighter yet retains the same or very close to strength of the nine inch (8-7/8 ring gear on a 20)
Used larger three inch Ford 9inch axle tubes, had center section machined to fit larger tubes.
welded tubes to center section.
Used Ford 9 inch axle flanges so he could install better aftermarket brakes made for Fords (more common)
I don't think he was using a full floating axle, I wanna say he used one piece axles, the reason for the 9 inch axles and flanges is because the axle bearing is larger as well as the axle shaft.

He said he ran the stock 20 until it broke an axle. He tried I wanna say Moser one piece axles but they broke too, so he went with the above mentioned setup. No more failures.

This guy did really well in whatever series he raced in, winning much of the time. I think he retired from racing because of old age. He raced a Humpster Javelin

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Mar/01/2017 at 11:32am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 4:08pm
That sounds like a lot of work went into it, I think at that stage I would just run a 9" and be done with it.

I know the left side axle is the same between Hornet and early Javelin because I originally bought the Hornet diff and used this axle to replace the one in my Javelin which spun a hub. Pretty sure the other side is a little different in length. If there is not enough spline, I will just install the axles in my Javelin and take my chances with the two piece axles in my Gremlin.

I'm wary or doing any welding one the housing unless it is absolutely necessary as there is always the risk of heat distortion from the welding and the potential of putting something out of alignment. If people are routinely ripping the spring perches off for example then I will address it, if it's just a precaution for the sake of it, then I will probably leave it alone.

Fairly light car with not a lot of power at the moment even accounting for the slicks, so it's not going to be too stressed hopefully. I can only run down to 11.00 under the local regs before I have to install a cage and that is not in the current plans, so low 11s is the current goal.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 6:33pm
The stock axle uses tapered roller bearings, and those must have the right endplay, set by shims. The differential has a spacer in the middle that the axles butt with to transfer end loads, so the length of the axles is critical to endplay. You need to have the right length axles to a pretty accurate level to have the right endplay, so be very careful of swapping them.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 7:51pm
68-70 Javelin and the Hornet/Gremlin left axles do have the same part number for the AMC20. I did check the end play when I swapped the axles and adjusted it within specification.

With the Mosers, there is no longer a tapered bearing to deal with, so length is a lot less critical. Main concern will be if there is enough spline on the right axle to be able to cut it down, I'm assuming the Javelin axle is longer than the Hornet one. If it was a 70 Javelin then the leaf and right axle would be the same as the Hornet, so I'm assuming there is not a lot of difference on the 68/69.

I'm just trying to find all of the bits in the shed now so that I can get some actual measurements to work with.

I am actually tempted to throw the rear end under the Javelin when it's finished and run it at the strip just to see how much difference the 4.10 gears make compared to the 3.54 gears that are in it now. Should be enough to drop it into the 12s from it's current 13.1 PB I reckon.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

That sounds like a lot of work went into it, I think at that stage I would just run a 9" and be done with it.

I know the left side axle is the same between Hornet and early Javelin because I originally bought the Hornet diff and used this axle to replace the one in my Javelin which spun a hub. Pretty sure the other side is a little different in length. If there is not enough spline, I will just install the axles in my Javelin and take my chances with the two piece axles in my Gremlin.

I'm wary or doing any welding one the housing unless it is absolutely necessary as there is always the risk of heat distortion from the welding and the potential of putting something out of alignment. If people are routinely ripping the spring perches off for example then I will address it, if it's just a precaution for the sake of it, then I will probably leave it alone.

Fairly light car with not a lot of power at the moment even accounting for the slicks, so it's not going to be too stressed hopefully. I can only run down to 11.00 under the local regs before I have to install a cage and that is not in the current plans, so low 11s is the current goal.

Factory AMC20, with a fresh torque of the axle nuts oughta handle an under-powered light drag car with no issues....why even worry then??

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2017 at 9:31pm
That's pretty much why I'm asking and of course the best laid plans are always subject change.

Plus it's a lot less messing around if I can just use the Mosers I already have in the Hornet rear end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic