TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC V-8 & Superchargers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC V-8 & Superchargers
    Posted: Jul/12/2018 at 8:26pm
I know there have been some supercharged AMC V-8s done. Bulltear has a kit to add it in front of the existing alternator/water pump/crank V-belt. I'm wanting to do something similar the difference being a single serpentine belt driving everything like you'd find on a modern supercharged musclecar.

For my build I want to place the supercharger where the power steering pump normally is as I have manual steering. I'd also like a spring-loaded tensioner between the alternator and crank.

Any advice?
-Steve-

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 10:13am
Torqstorm has a Supercharger kit on the market too. They at one time had a dual supercharger kit for AMC, so they may be able to do a single driver side mount.

I doubt anyone would be willing to make a kit to use a single serpentine belt for everything.
Most superchargers require more tension to prevent slipping than the bearings in most accessories can handle. Most supercharger setups also keep belt length to a minimum to avoid stretching.
This is why most kits and OEM supercharger setups use a separate belt for the supercharger. Those setups that do share a single belt have extra wide 10 or more groove serpentine belts and pulleys.
goops View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 2:53pm
I have a vortech on my rebel wagon using Bulltear brackets and serpentine belt for 2 years now and works fine but uses a regular turnbuckle to adjust tension.
Run low elevens at strip thru mufflers and street slicks.
       Goops
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 4:38pm
Thanks guys. Already in the mid-11s with this car, looking for 10.80's or better with this new build.

I've seen Shootist's build and it's very close to what I'm after.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by akimmet akimmet wrote:

Torqstorm has a Supercharger kit on the market too. They at one time had a dual supercharger kit for AMC, so they may be able to do a single driver side mount.

I doubt anyone would be willing to make a kit to use a single serpentine belt for everything.
Most superchargers require more tension to prevent slipping than the bearings in most accessories can handle. Most supercharger setups also keep belt length to a minimum to avoid stretching.
This is why most kits and OEM supercharger setups use a separate belt for the supercharger. Those setups that do share a single belt have extra wide 10 or more groove serpentine belts and pulleys.

Yeah, I think I'm going to abandon the single-serpentine belt idea. I've been communicating with Torqstorm about a driver's side setup, which they have. They use an 8-rib belt and a torsion arm. I figured since I don't have power steering the crank pulley could have just a single 'V' groove for the alt/water pump drive and the 8-rib right in front of that (no 'V' for power steering). This way there would be more clearance between the crank pulley and the fan.

Here's their AMX in action.

Edited by Rebel Machine - Jul/18/2018 at 9:02pm
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 5:41am
If I may ask,
is there a reason you guys prefer a belt driven supercharger over a turbo?

I can understand wanting the instant power,
but turbo design has gotten to the point where turbo lag is less of a problem,
and thw slight delay that's left can even help with traction.

Just wondering,
I don't have either (in a modified car anyway) so I have no dog in the fight. 

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 6:20am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

If I may ask,
is there a reason you guys prefer a belt driven supercharger over a turbo?

I can understand wanting the instant power,
but turbo design has gotten to the point where turbo lag is less of a problem,
and thw slight delay that's left can even help with traction.

Just wondering,
I don't have either (in a modified car anyway) so I have no dog in the fight. 

Mostly for simplicity of installation. Exhaust routing could be complicated.

I had a discussion with my engine builder yesterday about the traction issue. He also mentioned how turbos make the power at high RPM so there's less chance of a traction problem at the starting line. A way to combat this problem with superchargers is to use progressive blow-off valves. You can bleed pressure off at the start of a run then increase it as RPMs come up.

-Steve-

ARIZONAAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARIZONAAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 4:55pm
I have a passenger side Torqstorm on my 68 AMX.I had to modify the battery tray & use a dry-cell Dyna-bat battery,but it was worth it. There is no belt slippage at all.I didn't want a trunk mounted battery.I haven't had it to the strip yet. I need a boost retard system.When I saw almost 8 psi,i had to back off.
68 AMX 401,727.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by ARIZONAAMX ARIZONAAMX wrote:

I have a passenger side Torqstorm on my 68 AMX.I had to modify the battery tray & use a dry-cell Dyna-bat battery,but it was worth it. There is no belt slippage at all.I didn't want a trunk mounted battery.I haven't had it to the strip yet. I need a boost retard system.When I saw almost 8 psi,i had to back off.

If I may ask, is it a pump gas engine? Iron or aluminum heads? Intercooler? How much power?

Thanks,
-Steve-
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 8:44pm
You might enjoy looking at Uncommon Engineering's website for a little extra inspiration?:

http://www.uncommonengineering.com/

Also, you might want to get a book on how to set up carburetors with turbo or supercharger. This book by Dave Emmanuel is well written and compares 'blow through' and 'draw through' set ups. -Not only for turbo as the book's cover text indicates... it's a good book to develop general carburetor tuning for all carburetors IMO and for all the knowledge and know-how shared in the text it's well worth ten times the price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-P-Books-Holley-Carburetors-1980-Dave-Emanuel/182816628126?hash=item2a90b85d9e%3Ag%3AIOcAAOSwhURZhx6s&_sacat=0&_nkw=Dave+Emmanuel+Holley+Carburetors+book&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

I would not be surprised to learn D. Emmanuel wrote a book solely dedicated to tuning carbs for supercharger applications...

Copper head gaskets with o-ringed block might be another consideration:

http://scegaskets.com/product-category/amc/amc-v-8/amc-head-gaskets/

or:

http://lubbockgasket.com/engine_head_gaskets.html

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic