TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Stock rubber motor mounts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC Stock rubber motor mounts
    Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 5:17pm
I have a question regarding the safety style motor mount, that (I believe) AMC started using on their V8 engines starting in 1972.

The newer style safety mount, has additional bracketing built into it, which allows the brackets to hook together, in the event the rubber mount that binds the brackets together fails.

If you look at the mount, one side of it (top or bottom depending how you look at it) has the portion of the mount bracket that hooks together.

My question is this... Does the hook end of the mount go up or down when installed?

Thank you...

Rich C.

Edited by Ram Air Rick - Jun/21/2018 at 6:27pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 5:35pm
My late 71 has them... Unfortunately the engine and tranny were rebuilt back in the 90s, so they may have been installed reversed. I seen another thread long ago on the same question. Hopefully I can find it and post for reference. Though, somebody like 401MatadorCoupe will post the factory correct orientation of the tab.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 6:33am
According to AMC, I think it's in the "new features" dealer papers when that was introduced, the purpose of the interlock is to lock the engine in place to keep the fan from destroying the radiator during an accident. The previous style mount would separate under extreme deceleration and allow the engine to move forward.

So, I don't think it matters.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 7:42am
I install them with The hook part goes up so when the engine torques, the driver's side hook feature is in compression and not tension.
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 11:49am
I have an ugly dent in the hood from a broken old style non-interlocking motor mount.  Use the interlocking style or the Prothane and save yourself some serious aggravation in the future.

Bryan
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 12:04pm
I don’t believe it is absolutely critical what orientation they are installed. Even though there is probably a slight benefit to having the hook oriented upwards on the driver side, the hook feature should still work pointed downward as well.
If you plan on using headers, you may want to point the hooks downward anyways. That way you can avoid potential header clearance and installation issues later on.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 1:27pm
The hook must go up to be effective. I put one on with the hook down cause I thought it does not matter. I learned this was incorrect, and it is much less effective when I pulled it apart. I have now pulled mounts apart with low range in a 4WD, and at the drag strip.

Put the hook up.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 1:50pm
Up - it was a required safety feature otherwise the engine would rise on the left if the mount failed.
Hold the mount and think of how it would work if the rubber failed - can the engine lift up under torque or will the hook stop it.
They have always been mounted up. (if correct)
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 1:51pm
Good to hear from someone who has practical experience. I’ll install them pointing up if at all possible from now on.

Some headers won’t fit on the passenger side with the hook pointing upwards. So if you are forced to install your engine mounts hooks down for header clearance, just install a lift limiting chain or cable. That is going to be far more effective keeping the engine where it belongs than the hooked engine mounts in the first place.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 1:58pm
I am bringing about 6 sets of new ones to the AMO Nationals if anyone needs a set.

Edited by SC397 - Jun/22/2018 at 2:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic