TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amc spirit/sx4 1/4 window louvers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2015 at 3:58pm
If this is a go, I would be in for 1 set as well.  Any updates to this?
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2015 at 4:53pm
I just bought a single mint passenger side louver. I bought a molding agent that I am going to make a hard mold out of I hope next weekend. From there I will be buying 1/8 hdpe plastic sheets to vacuum mold them. The original louver wasn't even 1/8 thick so the new plastic will actually be an upgrade.

I have been waiting for my single louver to show up. I didn't want to hurt any of the sets I have on my cars. I will be able to practice with this one until I get it to work. If I can get it to work on the passenger louver I bought I will be pulling a driver side off my amx and copying that one.

I was going to have a company mold them but cost a bit of money up front to get it going. I rather do it with my friend as a project and try to keep the price down.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2015 at 9:47pm
So made some progress today.My friend and I hard molded the passenger louver. It come out very good for the first time ever doing this. The hard mold just needs the slats(area that will be cut out) sanded down before vacuum molding. I now have a mold I can use over and over with out damaging my original louver.

I am hoping to make the vacuum molding set up sometime soon and see how it comes out. If it works out good we will be repeating the process on the driver side louver

Pics for now

garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2015 at 10:34pm
Looks Great.........
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2015 at 3:46am
Progress....very cool!!
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
SPIRITAMX79 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPIRITAMX79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 2:30pm
I'd buy a set. Sending PM now
DaleG View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 8:13pm
Looks great. I saw that passenger side one on ebay and it did look good but I didn't bid on it because having only one side would have been worthless to me. Glad that you are working on this. Thank you for your efforts.
DaleG View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2015 at 8:20pm
I wonder if it would be possible to do a rear one as a multi-piece kit. There is an instructional page called  How To Make Rear Louvers for an SX/4 - AMC Evolution  on another site where the guy was making them out of aluminum flashing but I'd rather have plastic

I know......one step at a time.....haha
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2015 at 3:21pm
The passenger side one on ebay was the one I bought and used to make the mold. It cost me 125 shipped but I wanted it for this project. I didn't want to pull any sets off my car and chance damaging them. With that being said the molding process went very. So I will be pulling the driver side off my white amx to mold as I did the one above.

I will molding the driver side after I know I can vacuum form of the passenger mold to produce a nice piece.

I have no plans on doing the rear one at this time. Maybe someday...
garsod View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2015 at 6:49pm
Great to hear. Wish I could be there to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic