TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Spirit Rally Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 1:30pm
In the above photos is the car up in the air completly mechanically stipped.  The next photo is the car on the dolly I built to make the metal work easier.  The third photo is the car with most of the exterior paint removed.  I stripped the paint using aircraft paint remover rather than media blasting because I was concerned the heat generated from blasting would warp the thin 1970s steel.  Cost was also a consideration.  Stripping it myself has taken a long time but I have time and the SD4 engine choice along with purchasing a new garage/house has got me financially drained.  Lucky for me I have everything needed for the body and cage.  As far as the crank/stroke, I got a line on a 2.7L crank which I will probably buy when I have some money again.  2.7L should give me a good sweet spot for power vs. RPM.
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 4:48pm
Looks great! Keep us updated on your progress!
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
jebidia24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 1:44pm
Have gotten much work done on the project lately, I was busy building a new garage with insulation and heat this time (Michigan winters are brutal in an unheated and uninsulated garage).  Either way, to hold people over here are some photos of AMC Spirits running rally in the late 70s and early 80s.  The yellow cars are from the national VAM team.  The AMX was ran by Chuck Cunningham, which unfortunately DNF'd.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:26am
Interesting that VAM ran the short lived (at least in the US) Kammback.

Frank Swygert
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 6:57pm
I’m going to go back through this post. Very cool, though I have only skimmed. I do know the tolerances and materials were different on the German vs AMC. The 924 turbo was the first electronically managed boost control that Porsche used on a road car. The 924 GT, GTS was based on the Audi. The GTR not so much. But they made damn good power for their day. Not super reliable beyond their design spec. But won some endurance racing. Nothing like today’s Mitsubishi or VW/Audi 1.8t for boost appetite.

I had a track drive in a 924GTS Clubsport, with between 245-310 hp. It lost a head gasket, but not before mopping up much more modern Porsche’s while on relatively tame rubber.

I digress though.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 6:24am
Tolerances were different for the AMC built 2.0L, but materials weren't that different. The major castings (block, crank, and head at least, and I'm pretty sure pistons and rods) were made by Audi in Germany (or wherever the engine factory was). Only minor things like the valve cover, water pump, and distributor were made in the US. AMC did the final machining and assembly of the engine over hear though. They purchased a plant specifically to machine and assemble that engine, but numbers never got up to the point they could economically start full production. Good thing it turned out, as the little front engine Porsche sales were mu h better than expected. It just wasn't big enough for the current AMC cars, and AMC didn't have the funds to develop a smaller, lighter car as they had originally planned. I suppose they could have increased the bore and stroke had they taken over production, and I suspect they had planned to, but it just wasn't quite enough for a Gremlin/Spirit. The assembly plant was sold to Deutz, IIRC.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic