TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Spirit Rally Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 3:48pm
I use imgbb.com for quick and multiple uploads. Creates the bbcode so all you need to do is copy and paste. Just have to set in the pull down menu to use full bbcode not with markups, or other types of links. Works on all types of sites, just not a busy spot, so who knows for how long what will
happen speed wise and longevity of hosting. You can give it a test, without creating an account.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
jebidia24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 4:09pm

OK, I am trying imgbb and I hope this works.  These would be all the pictures that people probably have not been able to see. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 4:17pm
Yep, and i bet Gieko would have the slogan, So easy a cave man can do it. Ha!
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 8:44pm
Interesting project! Looks like you're making all the right progress and you're making decisions that make competitive and economical sense.

Does the body have to remain stock? Can you do subframe connectors or will you have a roll cage?
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
jebidia24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 7:05am
The Rules require a roll cage built to the spec in the picture above.
jebidia24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 12:37pm

jebidia24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 12:49pm
In the post above are some pictures I took a couple of weeks ago.  In the first one is the SD4 block which came my way.  The guy I purchased the rest of my SD4 parts said a friend of his had a spare SD4 block that he wanted to part ways with.  The price turned out to be right and now I have a block which is rated up to 500 hp (not that I will be making that much).  Hopefully I don't run into issues when it comes time to have this beast log booked as this block was never offered in a production vehicle and is of a different make (although it is derived from a production block which my vehicle came stock with, so who knows).  The only big piece I need now is a crank.  I'm not sure what stroke I want to use.  The largest 3.937" (3.3L) makes a lot of power but also is limits the RPMs (assuming a max piston speed of 4000 fpm) to 6096 RPM.  They make strokes all the way from 2.6" (2.1L) to the 3.937" (3.3).  I would like to go with the 2.6" (2.1L) as it would give me a max RPM (again assuming a max piston speed of 4000 fpm) of 9230 RPM or until I hit valve float.  I am going to combat the valve float problem by going with solid roller lifters, strengthened springs, and dual roller rockers. The second picture is the car dolly I made so when I go to install the cage (next week) I can move the car wherever I need it.  As hinted at before, I have the steel, tools and time ready to start the cage installation next week so hopefully all goes well.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2018 at 6:29am
Max rpm isn't a problem, it's how you drive the car. Match the drivetrain to the engine speed. The longer stroke will also increase low speed torque, which is an advantage pulling out of the curves. It will only "limit" your top end down the long straights if you don't have enough gears. A five speed is usually all you need for most road courses, which have at most two long straights. Sounds like you intend to wind it up and go, which might be the easiest for you to do.

First case in point: big block Shelby Cobra vs. small block (the two seaters). I think it was Road & Track that tested both together on a road course. Once one got in front the other couldn't pass. They started even on the track together. Whichever got out front that first time stayed there, with the other right behind but unable to pass. So for kicks they intentionally switched positions and the same thing happened. With the BB out front it walked away on the straights so far the SB couldn't keep up. But then it hit the turns and had to slow to keep from plowing off the track and the SB caught up quickly. Reversed, the SB made up a lot of time in the curves, but was run down on the straights. Your situation isn't quite like that because the longer stroke engine isn't a lot heavier, but part of the reason for the situation was because the two cars were driven differently as well.

Case two is more similar to yours. Forrest (can't remember last name, might be on here) in/near Atlanta was racing a Spirit at Road Atlanta in an SCCA class. Told me he was tired of finishing near the back all the time, would at least like to be in the middle. Had raced a Sprite before, so he was winding the big six up tight. I suggested he get a five speed (was running a four) and gear a little lower, then use the gears and stop winding it up like a four -- use the low speed torque and a bit more gear and better tranny gear spread to pull away from the turns instead of winding it up on the straights nd rushing INTO the turns. He did that and started finishing in the top half (usually 12-16 cars in class) instead of bottom half. His son even won a race or two!
Frank Swygert
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2018 at 6:47am
I’d be choosing max power over max rpm unless there was some specific advantage in the class rules from running less displacement.
jebidia24 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jebidia24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 12:23pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic