TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Shorty Headers From Pertronics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwkslvr73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2013 at 10:10am
what was decided on fitment ? same as the old ones?  small bodied cars this time?
360 5-speed orig owner...
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 9:02am
Originally posted by kwkslvr73 kwkslvr73 wrote:

what was decided on fitment ? same as the old ones?  small bodied cars this time?

They are being developed to be a direct replacement for the AMC/Jeep "Free Flow" exhaust manifolds, like the Edelbrock shorty headers were.    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 4:59pm
Great! Lots of people call up looking for shorties.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 5:47pm
I know! They still call us for them too. They sold really well when we were building them.
Cool
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:
1greasygt View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1greasygt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 7:04pm
Will they fit a Spirit?
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

They are being developed to be a direct replacement for the AMC/Jeep "Free Flow" exhaust manifolds, like the Edelbrock shorty headers were.    
So they will fit an AMC/Jeep and not an AMC/car?
Edel made 2 different sets, Jeep & Car and IIRC 2 with in each set, air tube and non-air tube.
When the work went out Edel stopped selling them all you could get where the Jeep ones and was told they did not fit cars.

Or am I all wrong on that and hope the set of shorty headers I have that I think are for the Jeep will fit my Javelin?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

So they will fit an AMC/Jeep and not an AMC/car?
Edel made 2 different sets, Jeep & Car and IIRC 2 with in each set, air tube and non-air tube.

When the work went out Edel stopped selling them all you could get where the Jeep ones and was told they did not fit cars.

Or am I all wrong on that and hope the set of shorty headers I have that I think are for the Jeep will fit my Javelin?

Dave ----

Dave
As you know 71-up AMC big body cars and the Jeeps with AMC V8's both used "free flow" exhaust manifolds. The Edelbrock shorty headers were designed as a direct bolt on replacement for those cars and the Jeeps with the OE "free flow" manifolds. The Edelbrock shorty headers will also fit the earlier big body cars (if you have dog leg heads) like 68-70 Javelins, AMX,s, Rebel, Etc, but are not a direct bolt on for these cars (that came with OE log manifolds) due to collector location, but (like the "free flow" manifolds) they do fit the engine compartment nicely. The Edelbrock shorty headers will not work on the small body cars (Americans, Hornet, Gremlin) without some major modifications.

So Dave, if the headers that you have are #65812,65813,65912,65913 they will fit your Javelins with just new down pipes if you are replacing the OE log manifolds. They will not fit your Gremlins without some major work.

I hope that helps!
Dennis     
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 7:11pm
A local club member used to run free flows on his 343 Rogue and all he had to do was rotate the collector area 90 degrees by cutting it off with a ban saw and rewelding it back on with the offset so the bolt flange did not hit the firewall and the stud did not the strut rod bracket. I would bet it would be much easier to do with the shorties than it was on the cast original.

When they come out I will grab a set and make the mod for the Rogue convertible in the queue that is getting a 360 V=8 transplant and post pictures and detailed description of what we did to make them fit the small body.

If all works out as anticipated we will be able to make modified shorties for small body cars available for anyone who wants them as well.

Edited by amx39068 - Jul/21/2013 at 8:05pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 1:32pm
That will be great to get the right side header to fit the small body cars Dan!

The only other issue that will need to be addressed will be the #1 primary tube clearence to the lower steering column shaft. The primary tubes use up a little more room to make that first bend than a cast iron free flow manifold does. That was one of the big problems with putting Edelbrock shorty headers on an American!

Dennis 

Edited by THE MENACE - Jul/22/2013 at 1:33pm
Former Owner of:

Still Owner:
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2013 at 1:37pm

Yes yes and that is why you see nice dings in the front tube. The headers were nice no doubt about it. You can get anything to fit with a little heat and a hammer. I have some funny stories about that.

We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic