TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc m20 9inch ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 585eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amc m20 9inch ends
    Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 4:19pm
Hello do i have to sleeve the axle to 3inch tubes to use the 9 inch ends on the m20?I found a nice jig setup on ebay from leadmine products to put the ends on.Has anyone used there setup before?Im using a narrow track m20 in a rogue and the pinion offset is 2 inches is that to much.Im also going with the freak ride 4 link and wondering if anyone has ripped the brackets off the frame rails yet? The frame is paper thin were you weld those brackets.I would like to make this setup as strong as possible.I appreciate any insight on what i have going on. thanks eric
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 4:32pm
You can also use 8.8 tube ends, so depending on your source for ends and bearings, your not limited to just 9"

I am running 2001 Explorer bearings in my 9" as the axles are slightly smaller diameter at the bearing, though the bearings are large torino type. Donno if AMC axles are the same diameter to use 8.8 Explorer bearings, as it may be an option if not willing to obtain aftermarket axles based on torino bearing.

I had 9" truck axles and bearings, but I wanted to keep the axles as light as stock, so I went with Explorer axes, as they fit 9" carriers, just be careful not to get the 28 spline axles, as they are some what common.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

You can also use 8.8 tube ends, so depending on your source for ends and bearings, your not limited to just 9"

I am running 2001 Explorer bearings in my 9" as the axles are slightly smaller diameter at the bearing, though the bearings are large torino type. Donno if AMC axles are the same diameter to use 8.8 Explorer bearings, as it may be an option if not willing to obtain aftermarket axles based on torino bearing.

I had 9" truck axles and bearings, but I wanted to keep the axles as light as stock, so I went with Explorer axes, as they fit 9" carriers, just be careful not to get the 28 spline axles, as they are some what common.
8.8" tube ends are for C-clip use, so you do not want to use those. You will want to use a 9" end. There are several different versions, so you first need to see what what backing plates you intend to use.

Tom
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2019 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

8.8" tube ends are for C-clip use, so you do not want to use those. You will want to use a 9" end. There are several different versions, so you first need to see what what backing plates you intend to use.

Tom

So, retainers won't work? I went with what was done for 8.8 axle swaps to 9" rears, and used the sealed bearings with U shaped retainers at the backing plate flange. I don't see why it won't work that way on 8.8 tube ends, as the bearing and retaining ring are press on the axle like non C-clip axles.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2019 at 7:07am
Use plates like these on 8.8" axles to retain the axle even if a c-clip breaks.
With these you should be able to use stock 8.8" axle ends. Most of these state they are used with aftermarket axles, as they don't have c-clips. I don't know if the bearing mounts or is retained differently on stock vs. aftermarket axles.
Frank Swygert
585eric View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 585eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 12:36am
585eric View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 585eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 12:43am
I never posted pictures before hopefully there ok.I have the leadmine narrowing kit and moser hobby stock 9 inch ends on the way.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 6:52am
Turned out nice!! Photos are great. Real good job "mini tubbing" the wheel wells.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic