TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc hornet motor swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeniecki14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amc hornet motor swap
    Posted: May/15/2014 at 2:00pm
I was looking to do a 350 swap to my 1974 hornet and was curious as to what would be the best motor and what would all need to be done.
zeniecki14 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeniecki14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 2:02pm
this hornet is also planned on becoming a drag car
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 3:07pm
A well built amc 360 will run circles around a sbc 350. Mine will rip off 11:70's all day long. I just don't understand why some want to do this kind of swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 6:28pm
AMC 360's are plentiful, easy to make power with, and inexpensive to obtain. Just look.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/pts/4454634797.html
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 9:29pm
Go to a Camaro form and ask about putting a Ford in it...
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by 401jim 401jim wrote:

A well built amc 360 will run circles around a sbc 350. Mine will rip off 11:70's all day long. I just don't understand why some want to do this kind of swap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My guess because he knows that a 74 Hornet will never be worth much of anything (regardless of what is under the hood), and the guy wants to drag race. 350 Chevy engines are incredibly cheap, incredibly plentiful with many, many new crate motors for very little money compared to worn out AMC engines, and have a ton of cheap performance parts available. You can have your choice of about 40 some different aftermarket heads, dozens of header choices, scores of new intakes, cranks, rods, pistons, etc. The sky is the limit.

Plus, the small block Chevy has been pretty well sorted out over the years by about a million people. If the guy likes the Hornet body style and wants to race, why not ? Why should he cobble up some old AMC engine just to keep a few people in the hobby happy? They aren't going to pay him anything for his car anyway.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2014 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

Go to a Camaro form and ask about putting a Ford in it...
73jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2014 at 5:39am
Here we go again, and you grab the bait hook line and sinkerDisapprove If ya dont like it dont reply and the thread will be lost to oblivion
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2014 at 8:33am

On a technical basis the AMC has about a 10% better cylinder head CSA and a little better fundamental architecture, obviously with some pros and cons. While the AMC is a better design to make power the chevy has an overwhelming better performance parts availability.

As well the AMC is a bolt in with factory components, and mounts, shifters, headers etc do not have to be fabricated or adapted.

For a basic bracket car, say 11 or 10 seconds in the 1/4", an AMC is clearly superior as it is a bolt in, and less expensive to go fast due to the basic superiority of the engine. The better heads mean you can make more power without buying new heads, and what is easilly available for the AMC is excellent for a basic combination. It is an expensive core to find a 401, but with those all you need to change is the pistons to go very very fast, so the core expense may be worth it.

For example I was at the track last weekend shaking down a new combination with a friend. It is a very basic bracket style 401, forged replacement pistons, ported stock heads, 10.0 compression and true pump gas, mid size solid cam, torker and a decent carb. The important part is it had a top notch 8" converter, critical to any success and regardless of the engine choice. At about 3000 lbs the thing went 10.60 at 127.5 mph, and there is no way a SBC can do that with such an mild combination.

Faster than that it's a debate if the SBC parts availability makes up for the better AMC design. I don't have a problem finding the parts, although it does cost more. A big advantage of the SBC is it is a "cookbook" engine where you pick a recipe and don't have to think. But to me it is much more rewarding to make a unique combination go well, and the basic package really is excellent. Anybody can have a SBC, people look when you do it with an AMC.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2014 at 9:35am
I dunno. A Chevy has so much selection, you have to be able to think. Lots of slow Chevy's out there, cause of poorly chosen parts (bad combos). Since the AMC head is so great, it takes a lot less talent/thought to go fast, since the factory already did most of the work for you.

AMC has like 3 intakes and most people are extremely confused about which to choose, so imagine them with a Chevy with 300 intakes. Exaggerated yes, but making a point. Then they start choosing heads..... what a mess that would be. How many stock vs Eddy are there and most are still confused, cause the topic keeps popping up?

AMC has a cookbook right here as well and some "Powerblock" TV builds, etc. Just people choose to ignore them at times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic