TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Harmonic Vibration Damper Listing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 9:20am

I need to MAKE a 4 bolt balancer that will work with my 290 for the accessories from my '82 Honcho. LOL  

Hi Dan!

Edited by carnuck - Apr/22/2012 at 9:21am
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 9:29am
Well there you go Jim. Just match balance any 4 bolt balancer up with a 290 balancer and all will work fine. I have not done it but as stated, suspect the 304 would be the best place to start. I have aq couple of spare 304 balancers and can get one match balanced if you don't have anyone local to do it up your way.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 9:38am
I guess I should've been more clear. I meant to ask if the newer balancers would work on the older cranks. Especially ID and belt alignment. We have Perpetual balance here for the matching (they balance turbine aircraft engines as their day job)
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 10:17am
Thanks for posting. This is a great resource for determining the correct H/B's.
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 10:50am
Now I get your question.

All AMC genII and genIII V-8 crankshaft snouts are the same OD so all the balancers from the 290 to the 401 will bolt right on. The pulleys and water pump however are different due to the greater balancer depth on the later engines. You will need to get a full pulley setup, including PS and alternator pulleys plus a 72 and up water pump and all will be good.

BTW, I've seen where some folks shim the old style pulleys with washers but that is kind of hokey and not a great idea due to variances in washer thickness that can easily cause pulley wabble or misalignment from one pulley to the next.

Lots of guys on here, myself included, have bins full of pulleys and I am sure you someone can come up with a set if you can't find them locally. The biggest issue however is water pump shaft length so be sure to get the water pump for 72 and above which is mostly all that is available anyway.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 1:29am
That's the plan. I'm keeping the Delco alt (I have a 90 amp 10SI on it) and I considered serpentine belts, but the pulleys seem to only come in sets.
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 9:02am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

'70 390: #3196925 (same part number as a '70 360 but balanced differently)

This makes no sense to me. If I went to the dealer in 1978 and asked for part# 3196925 how would they know if I wanted the 360 version or the 390 version? So real question is are we talking about a casting number or part #

Dan is correct.  When I worked at the Kenosha plant I researched this.

Clearly if you ordered a damper assembly for a 1970 390 or a 1970 360 you would receive 3196925.  It would have the imbalance shown in note 4.  This would not have been as accurate as the factory balance on the engine but I suspect this was done many times without imbalance problems.

When the crankshafts were redesigned for the 1970 model year they were designed with the same imbalance.  Inspection of used dampers may show a trend that 360 dampers were balance drilled at the factory alike and that 390 dampers were balance drilled alike also but that would point to trends in the crankshaft balance not a design difference.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 9:13am
Later dampers had a longer interference diameter and a shorter clearance diameter.

If using a later damper use the key with the extensions.

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 6:28pm
Looks like Rick is right too.  I will fix the wording so that it is more clear.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

Looks like Rick is right too. 

Absolutely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic