TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc fuel pump oil coming out of the weep holes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digrazia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amc fuel pump oil coming out of the weep holes
    Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 12:53pm
I have a 1968 AMC AMX 290 automatic w/electric wiper motor. I have replaced 2 fuel pumps. I am getting the same problem.(I am getting oil out of the weep holes on the fuel pump), pvc is working no smell of gas on the dipstick. has anyone ever herd of this? any suggestion's/ could it be 2 bad pumps in a row

Edited by digrazia - Oct/04/2018 at 12:59pm
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 1:20pm
Where are you getting the fuel pumps from?  With the poor quality of newer rebuilds I wouldn't think two bad ones in a row would be out of the question.  If you have the original OEM pump I would send it to Then-Now in Massachusetts and get it rebuilt CORRECTLY.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
shopandsurf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shopandsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 4:53am
Search for a post by CamJam where he went through an extensive investigation and solution for this.

1969 AMX 390 AT Go Pac Bittersweet
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 7:46am
Sounds as if you may have excessive blow-by. Do a compression check.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
digrazia View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digrazia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 10:21am
I am having problems finding cam jam ?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2018 at 12:19pm
Here you go. You might have to go down a few pages to find the solution, but if you read through you'll see that all the aftermarket pumps of our type seem to be made in the same factory, regardless of brand.

Fuel Pump Fix

It's been nearly two years now and I've had no more problems.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/05/2018 at 12:22pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2018 at 10:20pm
seems like a 'run' of bad diaphragm pumps. i suspect the rebuilders are using NOS repair kits. old rubber is bad rubber. period, no exceptions. it goes bad, oxidizes, stiffens, etc, new sealed in bags on the shelf. all rubber has to be new-manufacture.

about 10 years ago i started having that problem with suspension parts, and if i remember correctly (dubious) we were guessing the "new" parts were made in the 1980's. so they last maybe 30 years, new-on-the-shelf.

i'd start asking the rebuilders about their parts sources. i'll risk flamage here by suggesting that NOS rubber should not be sold any more. it's a ripoff.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 12:54am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

seems like a 'run' of bad diaphragm pumps. i suspect the rebuilders are using NOS repair kits. old rubber is bad rubber. period, no exceptions. it goes bad, oxidizes, stiffens, etc, new sealed in bags on the shelf. all rubber has to be new-manufacture.

about 10 years ago i started having that problem with suspension parts, and if i remember correctly (dubious) we were guessing the "new" parts were made in the 1980's. so they last maybe 30 years, new-on-the-shelf.

i'd start asking the rebuilders about their parts sources. i'll risk flamage here by suggesting that NOS rubber should not be sold any more. it's a ripoff.

This problem of leaking oil is not the diaphragm. When the diaphragm goes they leak gas. This is the oil seal popping out of place due to a combination of improper staking at the factory and smaller vent holes that allow the pump to build pressure internally, which helps pop the oil seal out of its seat.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic