TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Entry for Engine Masters 2015?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 10:49pm

Wouldn't it be better to use a 401 block for the additional strength and clearances already designed into it? We are talking about the center line of the rod journals coming .160 closer to everything which shouldn't be a problem in a 401 block with aftermarket rods which are less bulky than OEM. Sleeving a 401 block to a 4.060 bore may not require removing the entire original cylinder wall? If so then that in addition to the beefier block webbing would make for a better/stronger engine with adequate clearance for the longer stroke. 

I've never had a block sleeved, so I'm asking. Having a raw crank forging is definitely a good thing, being limited to the small bore is a real bad thing.

SKeown 
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

^Will be interesting to see if 5.875" rods will allow the piston to clear.

Steve

The .017 longer 360 rod than the 401 and using a .927 diameter wristpin  instead of the 1" will put the piston .1165 closer to the crank than the 401 has. That doesn't leave a lot of meat under the wristpin. You could go to even a smaller wristpin but it wouldn't help much. That's why I suggested having Oilver make some 6" rods with an AMC big end and Chevy pin end. The 6' length with a 4" stroke will allow adequate clearance for everything, a nice CH piston while maintaining a 1.5 rod ratio. The 401 has a 1.59 rod ratio, and by going to a 6.125 rod length only improves the ratio to 1.53 while reducing the piston's CH substantially. 

Maybe Tom Molnar would be willing to do a one of set of rods for such an endeavor? 

SKeown
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 12:00am
I got a set of 6" rods, within the .035 on the crank pin allowance, and .928 piston pin size. Brand new. Would they work?

Steve
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 3:07am

From what I've read here the rules only allow a .030 reduction from the original crank's journal diameter. It would be terrible to be disqualified over something like a journal diameter infraction. That's why I question weather a 360 journal would be allowed on a 401 crank, and feel doing the crank with the 2.248 rod journals would be safest. I've seen no stipulation regarding the rod's length, but maybe something other than a shelf available rod would be frowned upon? If so, that would prevent a custom made set from being used unless Molnar made a run of them.

The rules don't favor us at all. It seems everything other than the displacement and how that's achieved is pretty cut and dried.

SKeown
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 9:47am
I just wanted to know if a rod that appears to be slightly bigger than a 360 journal would work. The actual finished size based upon the dimension on the box, appears to be about .0025 to .005" large. But I'm no engine builder. I'll give the specs to Lynn and he can figure if it would require thicker bearings. I gave the wrong impression by using the contest allowance for undersized limits to be a +/- tolerance.

As to grinding or welding a 401 crank to 360 rod size, Lynn has no worries , so I'm not concerned. I think that you are reading into the rules a bit too conservatively. From what I can see about the intent of each technical rule as written, unless specifically prohibited, such as the rule that no billet cranks are permitted, then you can use a 401 crank ground to 360 rod pin size. Why? Because the 360 is an original AMC design. The rules don't say that the commercially available crank has to maintain its own original rod journal size. It just has to be one of the sizes AMC originally used.

Steve
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 9:55am
Welding and grinding a 401 crank makes the most sense.
those raw forgings are way cool but will cost big $$$ to finish.
Gremlin Dreams
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 10:13am
Lynn can weigh in on the cost. I re-read the rules and as stated I see where SKeown and others are coming from on the 360. I think I was being too lose with my statement about any production AMC journal size applying. More accurate is to say that the rule requiring no greater deviation than .035" + or minus from the claimed engine the crank is going into still allows the 401 crank in a 360 block. -.035" from a 401 crank is a 360 journal dimension. You could still go another .035" in theory and be alright. Since he'd be using a "360" crank in a 360 block he'd meet the rule requirement.

Nowhere do the rules state that the crank had to start out with 360 rod dimensions or that a 401 forged crank can't be used in a 360 block. It can be ground down to 360 size or even be original 401 rod journal size and still be within the .035" rule for a claimed 360 block.

Steve
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 10:27am
Off grind the 401 to get as much stroke out of it as possible. Grind to 360 rod specs and use a 360 forged rod. You can get a custom rod length to accommodate stroke. Still in on this! Don't have too much time to get an entry in.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 11:25am
A std. 360 rod journal is only .006 smaller than a 2.100 chevy journal.I believe if I've read here correctly that would be within their rules? Rod width would be the only factor with the rules unless you used the Rick Jones 360 stroker rod...
I have a 3.8 stroke 401 crank with a 5.850 rod and there is barely enough clearance between the piston and crank counterweight for it to work..so as stated crank to piston clearance is an issue with a 5.850 rod with a longer stroke..

Edited by Hurst390 - Apr/26/2015 at 11:30am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 11:50am
You are correct. The width isn't t a concern other than wear/failure worries.

Revisiting the lifter rules, it pays to read them! Now Lynn's comment about what the others are limited to makes sense. With the exception of Mopar, they are all smaller because they are a Comp spec part for each manufacturer . The Olds is a .842", for example. Chevy, fuhgit about it.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic