TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC emissions air tubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

A really closer look of that 73 TSSM shows me that pic is from 1968 TSM, the "bypass valve" or known as backfire valve is the early 68 large valve with the vacuum control fitting that comes off (threaded in place), the later valve this fitting is integral to the backfire valve.   Look at your Parts Book and you can see the P.S. bracket differences.

LOL!

I just sent you a private message with those questions

I am one click away from ordering parts and you may have just saved me $200.00
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 7:25pm

The picture work also is showing the early straight tubes.....the TSM picture work is frequently used over from previous years.

You are REALLY good with details on that TSM digram. I did not notice the injection tubes were still the older type in that diagram.

Thank you for your expert knowledge on the amc emissions setup.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 7:31pm

The original "bolts" are not like late model too....they have a bigger hex and have tube that sticks out of end of the bolt.  You certainly would not see the inner tube but the hex shows.  Anyway, to answer your question Kevin.....well Joe and others certainly have some great experience to share here!!! Awesome to see others really make an effort on preserving this rare parts.  Just FYI, Kevin I have not ever twisted any off!!!!!!..there is a trick, I grind the head of the "bolts" off, then slide the tube off.  Yes, you sacrificed the "bolt", but I can make those if I have too, the tube is much more work to fabricate.

Duh, why didn't I think of that.Angry  I didn the one side and stopped, so I can at least live and learn on one side!  I bought new bolts 20 years ago so I am good...
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2013 at 7:34pm
Because, at the time, I could still get the "long tube" air injector bolts from AMC; and I bent/broke a few of the air manifolds trying to remove the hex bolt; I found that I could 'preserve' the air manifolds by using a three foot breaker bar with a two foot 'cheater' bar and TIGHTEN the hex bolt until it broke. The bolt is cross drilled so the air can enter the tube and ultimately the exhaust manifold and it is inherently weak at the cross drill. I used to remove the hood and sit on top of the engine using my legs for the effort. It's not easy but when you needed something that's not an available piece.. Mike
Mike
Teamamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2016 at 9:15pm
318-9267  These are the original old ones Correct?

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 3:03am
Bryan, those do look like the correct ones, I didn't verify the P/N.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 12:25pm
So as I am trying to restore a 71 November build 401 4 speed AMX what would be the correct tubes? 3 tube on one side? 4 on the other? Which style? Too expensive to do it wrong.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 1:54pm
capped 4 tubes on each side with free flow exhaust.
AMO Newsletter Editor
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 4:44pm
Thanks Ian. So you saying like the 70 style?
Karnuts View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2017 at 12:56pm
Looking for Emission Air tubes for a 69 Javelin SST 390 Engine. I saw some post saying Dorman makes them but does not give a part number. Also tried to call and e mail the jeep/AMC link that some members mentioned but have yet to receive a response.Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic