TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC DUI Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC DUI Distributor
    Posted: Nov/26/2017 at 8:04pm

I have a concern about the DUI distributor I got for the 360, the hold down lip on the DUI is different from the factory or any really.. I wonder if its a manufacturing defect or I'm doing something wrong. The Part # I got is 40820BK The reason its bothering me its that it has 2 lips.. and the hold down fork sit on the smaller lip and I'm scared to put any pressure on the bolts because I feel like it will crush it.. take a look at the pictures and tell me what you guys think. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rbe4876bcrce1b/IMG_3432.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2j8muf4cgua52x/IMG_3433.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Y.Lachapelle - Nov/26/2017 at 10:34pm
Y.Lachapelle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 1:36pm
Does anyone have any info on the subject?
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 3:21pm
I have no info, but may I offer a couple ideas?

Call the manufacturers tech line and get an answer from them.

If no help on their part (Chinese product?)

Why don't you spread the fingers slightly on the hold down bracket until the fingers engage the thicker flange under the thin one.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Dec/18/2017 at 4:49pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMC RICK 401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC RICK 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 3:58pm
Did you buy this new from DUI?
The reason I am asking is that I have one and looks nothing like that.
1969 SC Rambler
1974 Jeep CJ5 Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 TH400
Tube Chassis Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 Powerglide
"We are not here for a long time but we are here for a good time"
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Why don't you spread the fingers slightly on the hold down bracket until the fingers engage the thicker flange under the thin one.
It would probably do that on its own if they tightened it down. I'd be worried about how far down depth-wise the distributor drive gear is meshing with the camshaft gear too. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:39pm
measure it against the old dist  from where the dist seats to the cover to the end of the dist gear 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Y.Lachapelle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y.Lachapelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 7:33am
Yes I bought the dist new from summit racing, I feel like it is a manufacturing defect and I'll call the manufacturer, I let you know what I find. thanks guys!
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

It would probably do that on its own if they tightened it down. I'd be worried about how far down depth-wise the distributor drive gear is meshing with the camshaft gear too. 

Yes it might do that on it's own and make two ugly gashes in the nice new housing while it did !

As far as the gear mesh, I thought I saw a gasket under the distributor, at least that's correct !
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 12:09pm
It looks like summit gets them from a machine shop that machines down Caddy 425 distributors. I did not have mine machined down on the diameter along the top part of the shaft, as it is not a needed requirement.

Maybe the Chinese repopulated distributor bodies are off a wee bit from OEM Caddy units. One reason why I modded a Caddy one to fit than go with an unknown distributor make already modded.

At one time Caddy 425 distributors were a cheap find, and an easy mod to use on AMC v8 gen 2 and gen 3 engines. The only issue is how far they stick out, especially without any accessory brackets on the engine.

I think the only option is to weld a half washer stack of proper thickness to the bottom of the retainer fingers, or use a stack of spiral locks around the bottom ledge to take up the missing material of the top ledge of the lock down ring of the badly cut DUI body.

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/19/2017 at 12:17pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 12:18pm
That burred edge on the bottom flange area is crappy/cheap machining. I wouldn't trust either surface to hold. Just looking at the machine finish I would bet it's not T6 or any good quality aluminum.
Do yourself a favor, return it to Summit and spend a little more on a good product.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic