TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC backfiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 1:01pm
Well its not a bad cyl. Compression was within 5psi...8 cyl were 105 and cylinders 4 and 8 were 110...
What else??
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 5:33pm
Do you have a spare distributer?

I would try that.

That's if you have a spare.
Gremlin Dreams
AMC-304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 6:07pm
I dont have one darn it...
five-o View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote five-o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 6:02am
Did you say rotor is pointing at #1 cyl, that would be the #5 cyl position on cap. Distributor out of time.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 6:24am
Forgive me if I am stating the obvious but you mentioned working on small block fords. Number one cylinder is on the opposite side than ford. http://www.cfsja.org/tech/drivetrain/firing/firing.html
Not trying to offend anyone by stating the obvious but it is impossible to really know what the persons skill or knowledge is through text on a screen.

Edit: Totally stating the obvious because Phat went into way more detail. Sorry.

Edited by Lucas660 - Jul/16/2018 at 6:29am
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 7:42am
No one has mentioned the crappy HEI. Ditch that thing and install a reman distributor with points. You can get a MSD cap that will allow you to keep your wires. Sounds like a bad HEI module.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 10:31am
-that's a sure sign the distributor is 180 degrees off: pull it out and reinstall it with the rotor pointing the opposite direction, then try again.

-the next few possibilities are all solved with a Chilton's Repair Manual or an AMC Technical Service Manual (to get the engine running good again)

The $15 spent on a Chilton's Manual is well worth your time, compared to hours of guessing and wondering what might be wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chiltons-Repair-Manual-1973-1980-Domestic-Cars-6850-AMC-Ford-Chevrolet-Dodge/272974728517?hash=item3f8e8fcd45%3Ag%3Aad4AAOSw0TxZaq7h&_sacat=0&_nkw=AMC+Chilton%27s+Repair+Manual&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

*** caution; backfiring through the carburetor is likely to cause a blown power valve in the carburetor.

Once you get the spark right, with the distributor re-oriented where it should be, you can double check the carburetor by taking it off, partially fill the float bowl with fuel, place it in a clean bucket, come back two hours later and see if there's a puddle of fuel in the bucket...

...if so, that would be fuel seeping down into the engine instead, which will dilute the engine oil with solvent, which is NOT good for the bearings (no matter who made the engine, Chevrolet, Ford or whatever) ...if so, replace the power valve & re-test the carb, same way (the power valve gasket must be tight or it can leak too after replacement; ethanol/gasohol is more tricky to work with than the 'old school' gasoline all these carbs were originally made to run with)

*another note: certainly I'm not the world's moral advisor ~but~ I've had one very bad experience with an engine fire and trust me, you don't want that to happen.

Get drunk and go dance with a female yes? but no; don't get drunk and work on the carburetor.

Please let someone who is mechanically inclined and sober to work on it instead.

An engine fire on a fiberglass boat could be your worst nightmare (fiberglass is flammable and the styrofoam filler -that's a bonfire waiting to happen/you don't wanna learn the hard way)

You should have a good fire extinguisher 'ready at hand' & ready to use at your workspace. (ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure)

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jul/16/2018 at 10:39am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
AMC-304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 9:33am
So heres my deal, i get the motor at tdc on the compression stroke, then oreinte tg.he distrubtor with the rotor pointing towards #1 cylinder. Then it shouldnt matter what spark plug wire terminal that im on as long as its pointing towards #1 cylinder correct? Or is my thinking skewed?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 12:35pm
I would think maybe the rotor should be pointing a bit before #1 to allow for the advance but that can be changed if the distributor is in its travel range. Yes, wherever it is pointing you could use that for #1. I did it that way many years ago as a kid with a Ford Y block. I could have lifted the distributor to accomplish the same thing. 

My experience with an HEI that failed was it went stone cold dead with no spark when the module failed. You have spark but what does it look like? With HEI it should be quite blue and throw the spark for quite a ways like 1/4" or more. Could it be the coil in the cap is bad? Do you have 12 volts to the HEI?

Edited by vinny - Jul/17/2018 at 12:43pm
AMC-304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 12:57pm
Yup there is 12volts running to it and its a white spark.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic