TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC backfiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC backfiring
    Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 4:08pm
I have a amc 304 in a jet boat and i have been trying to get it running . I have gotten it to tdc and set the distrubutor to #1 cylinder and it bucks and snorts and backfires thru the carb...so qhat am i doing wrong??? This is my first amc..

Craig
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 4:13pm
probably 180 degrees out on the distributor
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 6:57pm
Set the #1 piston to TDC on the Compression stroke. Both intake and exhaust valves must be closed. Set distributor so that the rotor tip points to #1 cylinder plug wire at the distributor. As alluded to above; TDC happens twice during a four stroke cycle. Evidently, you picked the "other" TDC. If you don't want to pull the valve cover to seek #1 then pull the coil wire and the #1 plug and stick your finger over the plug hole while someone cranks over the engine. When the compression pushes past your finger; STOP cranking and move the timing mark to TDC and you should be close enough to start the engine. Don't forget to replace the plug, wire and coil wire.
Mike
AMC-304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 7:57pm
So heres the deal, i did set it up on the comp. Stroke as it blew my off the #1 cylinder and pulled the dist. Out and pointed it towards the #1 cylinder. Checked the plug wires and all was good. It wasnt 180 out unless its a weird motor,..
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 8:03pm
Try the condenser if you are running points.
Gremlin Dreams
AMC-304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 8:54pm
It came with a hei dist.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:10pm
Is it possible that your "boat" motor turns opposite to a car motor?
Mike
AMC-304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:31pm
Thats a good questionl i just went out and checked it and the dist. Turns clockwise. So no it doesnt turn opposite. I just dont know, i need help.,..
AMC-304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC-304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:34pm
Ive woeked on small block fords that turned opposite, alot of bb chevys bb fords and bb olds so its not my first rodeo, just my first amc!!
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 9:51pm
Has it jumped time?
How old is the 304
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic