TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC AOD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC AOD
    Posted: Jul/20/2007 at 12:45am
I read somewhere that the internals and tail shaft from a mopar 518 aod trans, will swap into a amc 727 case. Has anyone done this yet?
71gremmy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2007 at 4:29am
There was info on this on the old website, It will not work the back of the case is different.

Someone on the old site did make it work but he did it by cutting the amc bell off of a  Amc 727 and the mopar case from a 518 and welding it back together. That is not for the faint of heart and you really need a machine shop at your disposal in order to make that work.
71 Gremlin X,360,t-5,8 3/4 rear axle
66 Rambler Classic, 232,auto
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2007 at 10:48am
I have a 45 RFE overdrive trans in my Javelin but it is bolted to a 2004 Hemi. This is a huge transmission and I had to section the trans tunnel to get it to fit. A lot of guys are going with the Gear Venders overdrive since it bolts up to the 727 easiely since the tail housing on the AMC 727 is actually a Chrysler part, while the front case is AMC specific. The overdrive unit can take lots of torque and aren't all that expensive compared to a complete rebuilt or good condition donar overdrive trans. Gear Venders units are pretty popular in the muscle car crowd for many makes.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 12:28pm
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/07/01/hmn_feature15.html
"It's possible to perform this conversion with many Mopar, 1972-'78 AMC and two-wheel drive Jeeps that were originally equipped with a Chrysler 727 transmission."
Exactly how is this done on the amc 727?
71gremmy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71gremmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 11:16pm
I know they wrote that, they are assuming that amc's used a chrysler bell housing bolt pattern. But it was there own pattern. Yes it will work with a mopar becuse you can unbolt the 727 and the 518 will bolt right in. I have a 518 and a Amc 727 and belive me you can not bolt the overdrive from a 518 to a standard 727.

Some jeep grand cherokees did use a amc bell auto overdrive, but it a overdrive version of the 904 and is not as strong as the 518

Edited by 71gremmy - Jul/23/2007 at 11:21pm
71 Gremlin X,360,t-5,8 3/4 rear axle
66 Rambler Classic, 232,auto
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2007 at 1:15am
Can't happen.
The author didn't research before making a blanket statement. The only OD torqueflite with an AMC bolt pattern is the 42RE that came behind many 4.0 Grand Cherokees only. Besides being a fully electronic trans requiring a controller  to operate, mechanically it isn't up to the task of a V-8 much less the 6 cylinder it was bolted to.

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2007 at 2:06am
Quote Can't happen.

but it is on the internet!

I don't recall the guy on the old forum actually getting his working - I think he had the trans welded up and then never came back. His project looked promising!
AMO Newsletter Editor
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2007 at 2:39am
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

Quote Can't happen.

I know, I know if it's on the net it's fact.
Just like the enquirer as a newspaper.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2007 at 11:43am
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

Quote Can't happen.

I know, I know if it's on the net it's fact.
Just like the enquirer as a newspaper.

Actually it was published in hemmings muscle machines magazine, not the net.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2007 at 1:15pm
I'd have to agree with PMM here........He's just  stating the fact's..........as he said, just because it's on the internet or the media, doesn't make it correct........there is really no OD that will work in place of the 727.........518 will not fit the AMC engine! if you want OD and your 727, get a gear venders OD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic