TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC and Hurst four speed shifter 'humps'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC and Hurst four speed shifter 'humps'
    Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 4:58pm
Hi,

First post here as I am trying to find out what I have and what I should have on my 69 AMX.

I am pretty sure it has an AMC shifter but I don't think the floor hump is correct.

I have seen the diagrams of both types from the TSM but if anyone could post pictures of both that would be most helpful?

Also, are parts available to rebuild the AMC shifter?

Thanks in advance.

All the best
Sandy

P.S. I may need lots of advice in the months ahead.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 5:14pm
The "AMC" shifter used a metal hump. The Hurst shifter used a plastic hump.

I've never rebuilt the AMC shifter, but I've read that it is very similar to, or the same as the same year of Ford Mustang shifter. So Mustang parts may work for a rebuild. Best to check the Mustang parts catalogs & see what is offered & if it looks the same.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Scotamx Scotamx wrote:

Hi,

First post here as I am trying to find out what I have and what I should have on my 69 AMX.

I am pretty sure it has an AMC shifter but I don't think the floor hump is correct.

I have seen the diagrams of both types from the TSM but if anyone could post pictures of both that would be most helpful?

Also, are parts available to rebuild the AMC shifter?

Thanks in advance.

All the best
Sandy

P.S. I may need lots of advice in the months ahead.
I believe that the early 69's had the shifter with the reverse lockout, and the later ones had the Hurst. There was also a headliner change about the same time.
Scotamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 5:25pm
Many thanks.

If anyone has a photo(s) of the metal hump I would much appreciate it.

ATB
Sandy
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2016 at 5:26pm
The original shifters were mad by a company called Inland Tool and Manufacturing. The main thing is to make sure it is adjusted correctly, and that is done by the sliding pivots on the transmission arms. The main thing that can break on these units is what is called an interlock washer, and it goes in between the reverse lever, and the 1/2 lever. this keeps the transmission from going into reverse, while still in 1st or 2nd gear. it has a small tang on top, and slips into the shifter body, to hold it steady. I have rebuilt a couple, and parts are not listed for them anywhere, BUT, they use the same repair part as fords shifters, made by the same company, so the washer is available from several sources. If you want one, I have a couple spares, as I thought they would be hard to get, and I discovered differently. You can find them lots of places for 15 dollars, plus shipping, but I sold a couple of my spares recently for 15 dollars, and included shipping in the lower 48 states, higher elsehwere, as I found a few in bulk for a decent deal. Another thing commonly missing, is the large Beehive shaped spring, and snap ring, but again, same as the fords.
 Shifter rod inserts and clips are available from multiple AMC vendors here on the site, and others, I have used AmarkAMC, to find parts, including the original type knob and retaining nut for it.
Do you have a picture of your shifter, to make sure it is original? I am assuming you do not have an aftermarket shifter, like a Hurst, right? Factory shifter used from 1966 to 1969, AMC and AMX cars, for reference.

Edited by Cricket - Aug/26/2016 at 5:33pm
Scotamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 1:52am
Thanks. That's a helpful photo and great information.

I think that is what I have. The car is in pieces (I need lots of bits too) and not yet at my house but here are a couple of pictures I took.

I don't think the 'hump' is correct based on this illustration I found on line:-

But all advice and photos appreciated.

Sandy

P.S. I live in Scotland.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 4:58am
The pic from the parts manual is probably out of a Marlin or Classic. The one in the pic you took is the correct one for an AMX or Javelin. Keep in mind, many of the pix in the parts manual are generic and don't represent the actual part for every application.

That hump is not in the correct position in your pix.

Edited by 71SC360 - Aug/27/2016 at 5:02am
Scotamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 6:56am
Great, thanks.

One less thing to source.

Sandy
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 9:35am
Sandy,
 I think you have the correct shifter and metal hump for an early 69 AMX. The hump is not correctly positioned, but since the screws are removed, I'm guessing it's just sitting there. You can see where the screw holes in the floor are, it just needs to be installed. The reverse light harness is correct coming from the front of the shifter hump, it connects to a 2 conductor wiring harness that lays along the top of the trans tunnel from under the dash.
  The early 69 shifter was made by Inland Tool & Machine as was the shifter for early Mustang T-10 4 speeds, so parts are available from CJ Pony Parts or other Mustang suppliers. It's not a difficult shifter to rebuild, if nothing's broken, a good cleaning, lubrication and reassembly will have it working as well as it ever did. Which was not that well, hence AMC's change to the Hurst shifter in mid 69 and later cars. One of the main complaints about the ITM shifter was 'looseness' or sloppy shifting, it was  sometimes called The Mystery Shifter. I'm working on a partial solution to that problem with a new, improved shifter handle for ITM shifters that eliminates the sloppiness of the original worn shifter handles. Keep an eye on the "New Products" section for availability. Meantime, Good Luck with your AMX and show us some pictures when you can.

Terry
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 11:04am
At one time, I used a shifter handle from a mustang, as they have side springs and buttons. This eliminates the sloppiness, and gives a better shift. Honestly, I have one now, and when I get it all cleaned up, I am going to sell it. I'll post a picture when finished.
Cricket
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic