TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amc a904 shifting problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True_track_hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amc a904 shifting problem
    Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 12:53am
Hi i have a 1974 Hornet and i have a build A904 with full manual valve body but it wont shift in to 1st gear but all the other gears work fine the trans was just rebuilt and he did the valve body and said it worked fine then installed it and now it doesn't work dose any one know what i should do or how to fix it thanks
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 4:13am
What is the shift behavior? Does it start in 2nd when you select 1st? Check your shift linkage.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 3:52pm
Why don't you get it back to the shop that did the Build and tell them to fix it?. If they are a reputable Shop he should do it at no charge.
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
True_track_hornet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True_track_hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 5:34am
im planning on takong it there but my car is in Lucerne Valley ca anf the shop is 120 miles away and if i put it in to 1st it locks the rear like i put it in to park but it drives fibe if you put it in to 2 or 3rd amd R works fibe to amd in neutral and i just installed heard amd have no exhaust amd i dont want to burn my fire wall so i was going to build my exhaust my self im a fabricater so thats easy i habe a bender to just never worked on automatic transmissions so i dont want to burn it up driving it there lol
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 9:40am
Sounds like the shift linkage just needs to be adjusted. When you are shifting to 1st you are actually putting it into Park and the tranny is most likely locking up the drive shaft, not the rear doing it. When you are putting it in 2nd you are probably actually going into 1st not 2nd, and so on for the other. If this is what's happening, you can't put it in "D" drive and be able able to get the RPM's down for normal Highway speed.
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 3:20pm
Just for clarity, is it a Full Manual Valve body or Reverse Manual Valve Body? That would make a slight difference as to the shift linkage & pattern.

To me, it sounds like two bands are staying engaged when you pull it into first. 
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True_track_hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2017 at 8:29pm
park works normal and reverse work normal and neutral Works normal 3rd Works normal second Works normal but no first and it's a full manual valve body not reverse manual valve body i just dont know how when i go to firts it go into park lol i dont know anything about automatic transmissions lol
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 11:43am
Do you have a transbrake on it? 
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True_track_hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2017 at 3:24pm
no trans brake
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote True_track_hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 6:36am
so no one knows???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic