TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 401 starter problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jjubinsky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjubinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 401 starter problem
    Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 8:24pm
Hello all, 1st posting here. I picked up a 1967 M715 pickup with a 401 mated to the orig. T98 trans.
I started haveing a problem with the starter grinding against the ring gear. I have tried two different starters with the same result. If I shim the starter so it is not flush with the bellhousing, pushing the starter gear closer to the ring gear, I can get the starter to engage the ring gear. This works for a while but eventually it F's up the starter gear. I did not build the truck so I dont know the year engine or what it came out of. What I have learned is that there are two different size flywheels and ring gears for the 401. Both are 164 teeth. I have the smaller diameter flywheel and ring gear. The conclusion I draw is that either I have the wrong flywheel/ring gear or the wrong bellhousing. I do not know if there are different bellhousings for the 401 but I was thinking that maybe the smaller ring gear had a bellhousing to match and the bigger vice versa. As the bellhousing I have already has an adaptor plate to my tranny I would think I would need to stay with this bellhousing. Sorry for the long post, just tryin to give as much as I know. Any info on what the difference on the flywheel size and what the engine may be out of is appreciated. thanks
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 8:50pm
does it have the block plate between the engine and trans? it is used to locate the starter as one of its primary functions.
i have seen several left out and had similar starter issues that you are describing.
as far as i know all amc flywheel/flexplates are 164 tooth  
American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
jjubinsky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjubinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 9:04pm
Not sure what a blockplate is.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 9:18pm
First off Welcome to the form. Now to the issue, As far as I know, and I dont know it all, all the fly wheels & flex plates for the auto trans are the same dia. Bell housings either bolt to the motors or not starter openings should be all the same even between 6 & 8 housings. Also believe the 6 & 8 starters are the same or close enough to use in either one.
Now not knowing Jeeps too well didnt the M715 come with a 6? Even if it came with a 8 back in 67 I think it would have been a 327. One way to fine the year of the 401 if it has the stock valve covers on there should be a metal tag screwed to the front of the right cover. Post up the numbers/letters and someone will find what it is. Just know the covers could be from another motor from 304 on up.
Back to the starter, can you post a picture of it? Also does it have the solanoid part of the starter or is that on the fender? 1 wire to the uint or more? What side is it on?
That is all I can think of for now.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by jjubinsky jjubinsky wrote:

Not sure what a blockplate is.
It is a metal plate that fits between motor & bell housing behind the fly wheel. If you pull the starter you should be able to see the thin plate.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 9:27pm
In the upper right hand corner next to the headlight buckets, that's a block plate.

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
jjubinsky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjubinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 9:40pm
OK. no block. What does this block do?  
 And no, this is not the stock engine, but it is the stock manual trans. The starter is on the passenger side with solenoid on starter and single wire.
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 10:26pm
pics may help, some aftermarket mini starters have the solinoid on the starter with 1 wire.
is there a adapter of some sort to mate the engine with the original trans?

American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2012 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by madmax madmax wrote:

pics may help, some aftermarket mini starters have the solinoid on the starter with 1 wire.
is there a adapter of some sort to mate the engine with the original trans?

Would like to see a picture of that starter as it is not stock AMC and could be apart cause.
If no plate you ned to get one and install it, that could fix it.
Sounds like someone used a bell that fits the 401, could the stock Jeep one work? and it had the right bolt pattern on the trany side but need a spacer between bell & trany. I know that spacer was stock on some Jeeps and certin stick tranys.
Dave ----

We also want to see pictures of the Jeep too Cool

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
jjubinsky View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjubinsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2012 at 7:42am
The 401 is mated to the t98 trans with an adaptor plate between the trans and bellhousing. The starters I have been using are stock for a 401. I did not build this truck and dont know how it was put together. Not knowing the year of the engine or what it came out of, Napa gave me a starter for a 70's matador.
As Napa shows two diameter size flywheels and ringgears for the 401, and if there is only one bellhousing, which would mean the starter is "set"in the same location for either diameter, then it follows that there would be two different starters. The starter gear that engages the ring gear would be larger for the smaller ring gear and smaller for the larger ring gear. Make sense?
The two ring gear sizes, according to Napa, outside diameter 13.75 & 13.81. Not a big difference but it could account for why my starter gear does not engage my ring gear.
Without knowing the year of my engine, we could not determine what size flywheel and ringear I should have for my engine. Again, I have been useing a stock 401 starter from a Matador.
I will look again for a tag on the engine but did not see one previously. thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic