TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 401 flywheel out of Scout Traveller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autogatto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 401 flywheel out of Scout Traveller
    Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 12:04pm
Hi to all my name is Alex and I'm a Jeep guy, still I peak every once in a while on this Forum as there are tons of good info on AMC engines.

I apparently found a flywheel out of an 401 that was originally into a Scout. Besides I didn't know they put some of these engines in Scouts I'm kind of wondering in anybody can help me out in identifying this flywheel. The Casting number on the inside is F 073 and I tried to get some sort of info by a few google searches but I had no lack.
Anything that I should specifically look to make sure it is out of a 401 besides the size of the built in square weight in the back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 12:12pm
IHC didn' put AMC 401s in Scouts, but they did put them in pickups and Travellalls in the mid 70s. Something like 72-77? I'm not positive of the years. The engines s were the standard AMC 401 with a 2V carb, and painted red. IHC called them a 400 to avoid confusion with the big heavy  IHC 401 V-8. I can't help much on the flywheel, but there is a balance weight cast into the back of the 401 flywheel -- the engines are externally balanced. The only thing I can suggest is you find a photo of an AMC 401 flywheel (Google may help there) and compare. The size of the weight is unique to the 401.
Frank Swygert
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 8:50pm
IH used the AMC 401 in '73-'74 PICKUPS when the demand for the IH 392 in medium-duty trucks outstripped production capacity for use in both light and medium duty trucks.  The 401 was NEVER installed by the factory in a Scout.

The AMC 401 used in IH was identical to the one used in AMC's, EXCEPT it ONLY came with a 2-barrel carb.  And so the flywheel for the 401 is exactly a flywheel for a 401.  [If you're talking about a flexplate for an automatic, those Internationals used a 727, same as AMC did...so there's no reason to use a special IH-only flexplate behind an AMC 401.]
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 1:13am
They were also put in Travellers, which are the Scout sized version of the Travelall. Noted as V400 so as not to be confused with the IH 401 Red Diamond motor. This also came with a Delco style starter instead of the usual AMC/Ford style starter. I wondered if the Delco would work in place of those?

It's a later model 401 flywheel he has (we already played 20 questions on the Jeep board) The 401 is going into his Jeep.

I forgot to ask if the 2bbl intake had larger ports or not.

This is indeed a std flywheel for 401.
autogatto View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autogatto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 9:49am
Thank you all for the answers!
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 10:47am
I think the number you posted is a date code. June 7th 1973 ? The dog.
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic