TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 360 Limited RPM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruphianh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 360 Limited RPM?
    Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 5:56pm
Hey All, 

This is my first post and I'm trying to understand where my 360 should be power wise and where it reaches max hp.

I ask this because this engine doesn't really seem to make sense to shift under full throttle much past 4500-4600 rpm. I'm wondering if its just cam limited or theres something else going on.

What it has:

Motor:
Rebuilt about w/ 10,000 miles
360 bored .030 over
Edelbrock Performer Cam(its an Elgin performer grind)
Performer Intake
9.2:1 pistons
Some mild headwork (3 angle valve job)

Ignition:
Howell EFI(was previously 600CFM edelbrock. The EFI is so much better)
DUI HEI
Patriot headers 
3" Exhaust 

Should this be turning more RPMs? Don't get me wrong, its strong, but its power is down low and mid. 
Is there anyone else thats got this same motor build that knows what power it should be making and what RPM it should be turning?

Thanks all!

Edited by ruphianh - Jan/21/2018 at 6:32pm
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 6:28pm
Welcome to the AMC Forum.
I say look up the RPM spec for the Edelbrock Performer package, cam & intake.
I am going out on a limb and say that is where the Edelbrock Performer package RPM limit is.
Only other thing I can think of would be everything after the headers. Too small of a pipe (1-3/4") and cheap bad muffler(s) but I don't think that is it, is it?

FYI I have a torker intake and a Comp cam think 280H in my drag car with 360 and it runs out of breath at about the 6000 RPM mark and that is just before the 1/4 mile line using 4.56 rear gear.
The cam working RPM is 2000-6000 RPM.
The intake is think 3000-7500 RPM.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 6:33pm
72 factory spec for a 360 is 195 HP @ 4400 net, you upgrades will give you a bit more but nothing crazy. Make sure you have a full 12 volts at the ignition (no ballast or resistor wires) or the HEI may fall over at higher RPM.
ruphianh View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruphianh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 6:34pm
I updated my original post to show 3" exhaust.

Also, I checked and performer plus RPM range is Idle-5500RPM. It does not go 5500RPM lol.

Someone's gotta have this cam, right?
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

72 factory spec for a 360 is 195 HP @ 4400 net, you upgrades will give you a bit more but nothing crazy. Make sure you have a full 12 volts at the ignition (no ballast or resistor wires) or the HEI may fall over at higher RPM.
The 195 figure is with single exhaust. 220 hp with duals.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by ruphianh ruphianh wrote:

I updated my original post to show 3" exhaust.

Also, I checked and performer plus RPM range is Idle-5500RPM. It does not go 5500RPM lol.

Someone's gotta have this cam, right?
I had one , and it peaked at about 4800 rpm with a stock intake and exhaust. It only has 204 duration at .050, and has 110  lobe center angle. It is ground with a 5 degree built in advance, meaning the intake valve closes at 27 degrees ABDC. Not a high rpm cam.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

The 195 figure is with single exhaust. 220 hp with duals.
Right, and that was REAL WORLD horsepower that the engine is actually making in the car, not just on some dyno with nothing else bolted to the engine. 

I hate when people say, "This smog engine originally made a weakling 175 horsepower, but I built it up with Edelbrock this and Holley that, and it made 300 horsepower on the engine dyno! I nearly doubled my power with these simple off-the-shelf upgrades!"

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 1:36am
To the original topic:

This engine of yours is not making much different power than a stock engine or at much different RPM. As it sits in the car, it makes 230-260 horsepower at around 4500 RPM if it is tuned perfectly. You will feel power decrease after that, but will still want to rev past 4500 before you upshift to get the best acceleration.

With the horsepower curve peak at 4500 RPM, you will want to shift around 5000 RPM for optimal acceleration because the engine speed will drop to 4000 RPM or so after the shift is complete. That way, you keep the engine speed sweeping through the power peak as you accelerate. Drag racing 101. 

...also because operation above 5000 RPM is questionable unless your valve train was upgraded and your rotating assembly balanced. Some guys here have engines with power peaks around 6000 RPM so they are shifting around 7000 RPM. They have upgraded their engines mechanically to handle that RPM. Whatever RPM your power peak is at is pretty useless if your engine explodes trying to use it. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:04am
I owned a '57 Rambler with the 250V8, the Carter WCFB 4-barrel, and factory ceramic dual exhausts. It would run 120 MPH at 6000 rpm and would do it all night without "exploding." It was a solid lifter engine, of course.

I would think a modern 360 with hydraulic lifters would run at 5500 all day. To have one that won't, I'd look at intake/exhaust restriction. Since the OP mentions he has 3" exhaust, I'm thinking the throttle body EFI just MIGHT be the bottleneck. SOMETHING is restricting the volume of air/fuel in or out...3" exhaust says it's likely NOT a matter of what's coming OUT, so the restriction almost HAS to be on what's coming in.

I sincerely doubt that the camshaft is the limiting factor. After all, it's less "limiting" than the stock cam used in the Rambler 250 V8. So what else in that equation might be the limiting factor? Providing the spark is sufficient, it would HAVE to be something in the fuel side of the equation, IMHO.

How many CFM is that throttle body? That might answer your question.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:52am
Might be the EFI -- either TB size or programming. The Howell EFI is mostly aimed at Jeeps, where you want power in the low to mid range. Great for a street engine also. Unless you're planning on drag racing you might just have a great setup as is.. 

Typically, if you gain power at higher rpm, you're losing it at low rpm. There's about a 2000-3000 rpm power band (say 2500 for simplicity) where the engine produces its best power. So move that up to 5000 and you don't get good low speed power. That's why drag racers use higher rpm stall converters and/or lower rear axle gearing.

Edited by farna - Jan/22/2018 at 6:55am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic