TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 360 ENGINE BUILD UP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 9:13pm
Or the tach or speedo or both are off, I know mine weren't even close to accurate LOL
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Airdrie AMX Airdrie AMX wrote:

Or the tach or speedo or both are off, I know mine weren't even close to accurate LOL
That would be my guess.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 9:28pm
I know I'm not chasing the cam grind numbers correctly but whatever cam you are using the engine really does need to meet the cam grinder's recommendation -it'll be a dog if you don't because the actual dynamic compression will be way off and the engine might even make less power than stock... eg if the cam is made to work with more static compression don't use it in the lower compression engine use a high velocity type cam instead (will be well worth the extra money spent) Maybe the smaller version Comp Thumper cam is what you want to 'get the sound' -they're made to close the intake valve sooner to make the engine 'think' it has more static compression but leave the exhaust valve open longer to give it a lopey idle sound. -you'll definitely need to double check  your valves for correct +.060" clearance on cams making more than .440" lift (as per recommendation in AMC"s book named "Performance American Style")
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
RamblinJavelin72 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinJavelin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 10:08am
 Could definately be tach/speedo related, although I have never opened the rear differential to double check the car is essentially new (not even joking) like mint. I did as much research with the vin as I could and got as much information on the car from my uncle who bought it new. Sadly a lot of information died with him. I will open up the differential in the spring and have a look see. The car has an absolute top speed of 120mph (road tested) after that its time to slow down.Cool
 As for the camshaft side of things that camshaft is supposed to be run in conjunction with the heads (complete assm.) I have coming, as well as the intake, timing chain etc. It's all a Edelbrock Performer RPM top end. It is designed to operated with those pieces from Edelbrock, I really can't see it having less than the original catalogued 220hp. There are simply to many changes that are power adders by themselves that would automatically give it more power.
Link to heads:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/amc.shtml

Edited by RamblinJavelin72 - Oct/31/2017 at 10:11am
GARAGE:
1972 AMC Javelin SST 3604BBL 4 speed manual 10400 original miles.
1968 Plymouth Fury III 383 Commando 727 AT,2dr fasttop
1995 Buick Riviera SC Black on Black highly customized
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 10:20am
It sounds like a cool car especially since it's been in the family, I would think it's pretty rare being an sst & 4spd. You should put some pics up if you havent already.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinJavelin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 11:02am
LOL I was just going to do that after I get done at the shop and with Halloween for the kids tonight. I have some on here in the pictures section some where but I will post newer ones. I think you guys will be surprised, I've been told by many at the shows its been to that its probably the lowest original miles Javelin in existence. I have already won a few awards with the car, and it's only been to a handful of small shows. People really appreciate it because of its rarity, and I am always getting stories from guys that had one, or their buddy one. Great car, and has given my family so many memories already.Cry AMC 4 LIFE!
GARAGE:
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinJavelin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 6:38pm
l

Here it is
GARAGE:
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 8:51pm
Very nice! it looks very well kept & good color combo as well.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinJavelin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 11:18am
Well after 3 failed attempts on installing my timing cover seal, I finally had success on the 4th try. I ended up leaving the seal outside overnight so it got a nice chill to -26C. The seal shrunk just enough to be pressed in.Hug $40 worth of seals wasted but at least it's in.Confused I am expecting my timing set and my Joe Gibbs engine assembly grease to show up DHL today. Hoping to stab the camshaft, install timing set, cover, and oil pan today so it is buttoned up for the most part until my heads arrive. Post some pictures tonight or this weekend...stay tuned.Thumbs Up
GARAGE:
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinJavelin72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 9:44pm
Got everything I wanted to get done today done. Everything stage torqued to spec, all new gaskets,seals installed perfectly. Really worked out good. I missed a few assembly photo opportunities that I would have liked to have got, but I was to greasy and engaged in task. Here’s where i ended off today.

Wrapped up and waiting for parts,Stay tuned!
GARAGE:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic