TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 327

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elephantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 327
    Posted: Oct/20/2016 at 6:15pm
I have a 1961 Custom Classic with the 196 in it.  I just picked up a 327 to put in. Any helpful tips to make this project go smooth?
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 5:22am
Best to have a intact donor car.
Gremlin Dreams
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 6:17am
Motor mounts.

Pre-'63 used front mounts, '63-up used side mounts ["Tri-Poised Power"].
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 6:41am
You have to change the complete drivetrain -- engine, trans, torque tube, and rear axle. The parts from any 58-62 Classic or Ambassador should bolt in. You will also need the motor mount supports for the front mounts from a Classic. The Ambo front mounts are different due to the longer wheelbase. Wheelbase was added between firewall and front wheels, so torque tube and such are the same length as Classic. 56-57 V-8 parts may fit, but you're not as likely to find one of those.
Frank Swygert
elephantman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elephantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 6:22pm
Thanks Guys! I wanted to keep it AMC pure which is beginning to prove difficult finding things. I guess half the fun is the hunt!..............................So they say.

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2016 at 10:52pm
Ok... Get your very own '62 AMC Technical Service Manual.

The two junkyards that I know of who have some of the parts you may be needing are;
1) John's Auto Salvage, Seguin Tx (830) 379-2092
2) CTC Auto Ranch, Denton Tx (940) 482-3007

I think you may enjoy talking to Doug Galvin > Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts (209) 365-6315

This is actually a good question to ask here because there in even less good information on the pre-'63 cars... if only for a review of what all's involved.

'62 was the last year AMC used a five point engine mount system.

Since AMC used the same basic 'medium iron case' Warner Gear automatic transmission design for both six and eight cylinder powered cars from '57? to '64? (I know for sure they used all new Warner Gear smaller aluminum case auto trans units behind sixes in '65 (and behind 290 V8 after '66) through '71) the V8 bellhousing should be a direct swap with the different six cylinder type bell.

If you run into any transmission problems I may be able to help. PM me?

If you like AM's '56-'67 Rambler V8 engine you might enjoy XRV8 Gremlin pages elsewhere on the web.

Make contacts through your local AMC car club?
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 8:34pm
I have an early 327 if u need one..'57. Complete with 4 bbl.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2016 at 9:40pm
I have access to a 327 from a 65 Amb if necessary. I have a crazy idea to pull that apart and machine it down to stroke a 1971 built 304. Not sure what flexplate and transmission options are available yet but it's an idea.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2016 at 6:08am
You can use a late model AMC drivetrain and keep it all AMC. A Concord rear axle will work fine, so will a Jeep XJ if you use deep offset wheels (like Eagle and Jeep used... use spacers on front to keep the same wheels all the way around).  If you're building a cruiser the AMC 15 axle is fine. If you plan on drag racing you'll eventually break it, but it's not like it will just fall apart. I've got a Jeep 4.0L and AW4 trans in mine, but I did go with a non-AMC rear axle.  Ran a Jeep Comanche axle for a short time though. That car was totaled,. When rebuilding I was checking out axles in a local pull-a-part yard and spotted a Jaguar XJ6... hmmm.... Was an expensive way to go, but works well. Don't think the pluses (a bit better ride and handling) were really worth the expense -- a good four link or long ladder bars/truck arms will ride and handle good as well, not that much difference.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic