TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 327 head numbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetteson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 327 head numbers
    Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 4:03pm
I recently purchased a '57 Rambler that has a later AMC 327. I am trying to determine the year of the engine. I was told that it is a '65 Ambassador engine. I can find no numbers on the block but the head numbers are both 3169513-1. Any help with these would be appreciated.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 4:36pm
what I do know is 1963-68 will fit the 1957. The 1957-62 engines will not fit in the 1963 up cars.  I also know the early oil pans will not fit the later cars....  I would also guess the heads have the year cast into them?... Does the engine run ok? If it does...Id run it.  What is the distributor #?  In later cars the Distributor # were Different for various reasons. 
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 6:50pm
I know the '63-'66 (and thru '68 in Jeep) blocks had provisions for side engine mounts. The '56-'62 blocks used a front engine mount instead of the "Tri-Poised" side mounts.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2019 at 7:18am
The only verified 327 head casting number I have is 3146596, which is a 63-66 number.  That doesn't mean all 63-66 used that number, there may be more. I found 3180915 as a verified (NHRA documents) 1966 287/327 head casting number also.

As far as I can determine, all the 287/327 heads are the same. The 250 might have smaller ports or valves, but I'm reasonably sure it used the same head as the 287/327 also. All the specs, including valve timing, are the same. None of the TSMs list valve size though, would have to check a parts book, but since the 250 used mechanical lifters it may have used a different valve (different valve end?). I don't think it would matter though -- the adjuster was on the rocker arm.

Edited by farna - Feb/21/2019 at 7:21am
Frank Swygert
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2019 at 5:26pm
I'm working on a Gen One list of casting/part numbers. The heads I can confirm are 1963 to 1966 287 V-8 heads from a couple lists I have. So a 1965 Ambassador engine could be what you have. There is a lip on the back of the block by the distributor and it should have a letter code relating to which engine it is.  For a 327 it should be an "E" into the drivers side of the block lip near the distributor. The later engine could been installed into the 1957 Rebel with mix and match parts from a latter 327, with out too much of a problem. I also have another casting number 315 2930 with a note that they were used in a Jeep, with a 287 ? Not sure I heard of any thing but a 327 V-8 being used in Jeeps of that period. A 287 V-8 should have a G instead E for the 327. F was suppose to be used for a 327 V-8 4 barrel . Not that the parts can not be mixed and matched as there is not that great a difference on any of the Gen One AMC V-8s. The difference in displacement is due a different crank/ stoke. Per say there were no other basic changes and the parts all pretty much interchange.  LRDaum
LRDaum
vetteson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vetteson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

I'm working on a Gen One list of casting/part numbers. The heads I can confirm are 1963 to 1966 287 V-8 heads from a couple lists I have. So a 1965 Ambassador engine could be what you have. There is a lip on the back of the block by the distributor and it should have a letter code relating to which engine it is.  For a 327 it should be an "E" into the drivers side of the block lip near the distributor. The later engine could been installed into the 1957 Rebel with mix and match parts from a latter 327, with out too much of a problem. I also have another casting number 315 2930 with a note that they were used in a Jeep, with a 287 ? Not sure I heard of any thing but a 327 V-8 being used in Jeeps of that period. A 287 V-8 should have a G instead E for the 327. F was suppose to be used for a 327 V-8 4 barrel . Not that the parts can not be mixed and matched as there is not that great a difference on any of the Gen One AMC V-8s. The difference in displacement is due a different crank/ stoke. Per say there were no other basic changes and the parts all pretty much interchange.  LRDaum

The engine is clearly a 327, the bore is 4 inches and the /4"/ mark is clearly marked on the back of the block. If what I have is 287 heads, that's ok because they are the same as the 327 (?). I believe compression was not affected, compression was set by piston height. (?)
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 11:51am
Yes, every thing is interchangeable. There no difference between 287 and 327 heads that I'm aware of. The only oddity is the are 1966 heads listed with air injection. Probably for California emissions. The 250 engine was made about 5 or 6 years, and frankly are pretty rare. The 287 was made only from 1963 to 1966 but , they were built in some volume, so are reasonably common. AMC had a history of using the same heads on the mid displacement engine 287/343/360 as on the bigger  327/390/401 engines. Only the smaller engine got smaller valve heads as a general rule.AMC did not really make a lot of changes and the back room NASCAR program went nowhere. The  327 era heads under perform in head flow for a number of reasons. I've only known hand full of people that could get the early 327 to really perform.But several of them are on this forum. LRDaum
LRDaum
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 9:15am
My experience has been the same as Larry's... and I will be the first to admit that Larry has much more experience than I do! I can verify everything he's said, if a second opinion helps.

Compression was set by the piston, usually in the dish size, but could be a pin height difference as well/instead, I haven't closely compared the low and high compression 327 pistons.

One reason 327 heads aren't the best for high performance is due to the size and shape of the ports. The valve angles mean the ports have a near 90 degree bend right above the intake valve, the exhaust has an even tighter bend, a tight 90 degree and a bit pinched at the bend. Can't make it much bigger without hitting water jackets.

But it wasn't designed to be a high rpm performance head! It performs exceptionally well up to at least 4000 rpm, and doesn't start to be restrictive until around 5000. Perfectly suitable for even a "pretty warm" street car. Those deficits were alleviated in the new, lighter Gen2 V-8 (290-390), and further perfected in the Gen3 (304-401).
Frank Swygert
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 4:12pm
Just a little more on the gen one AMC V-8 engine, the block have either the stroke on the bell housing lip or a letter code for the engine displacement depending on when the engine was built , ei the year it was cast and assembled. There should be a tag on the alternator / generator bracket on the front of the engine that gives a build day code for the date the engine was assembled. Easily changed or lost. As Frank said the gen one AMC V-8 is almost more of truck engine then a car engine. Very strong, takes awhile to get up to speed, but will stay there and run all day and most of the night. It's high torque engine but unfortunately not a real high horse power engine. You want a better camshaft you have to have a cam reground for it. There are almost no high performance parts for this engine. I've seen one after market aluminum intake for it in 45 years. It's challenge to make this engine performance well but it can be done. LRDaum 
LRDaum
edwinjperez View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwinjperez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2019 at 1:42am
I purchased a 1984 Jeep Scrambler with a AMC 327. Casting number 3158242 and the engine still has the completion date stamp on it, 9-25-1957. Very cool piece of history...and it runs great. I'm curious what it came out of....

below is a link to picture of the engine:

http://s346.photobucket.com/user/ejperez1977/story

Edited by edwinjperez - Sep/28/2019 at 2:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic