TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 304 Edelbrock 1406 jetting help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 1:47pm
I tried running with less jet and it didn't like it. Expect not enough signal from the 304 ... but each build will be different. It was a Hornet with a stock 304 from a '78 Concord, had lots of miles on it and got hand-me-down parts from my Javelin as it was upgraded.

Distributor was the stock AMC Motorcraft and stock box. IIRC, ran 12-14deg. initial, 35 total in by 2800 rpm. Vacuum advance was mechanically limited to keep it from giving too much as it would sometimes ping on cheap gas.

Hope this helps,RD.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by chrisinchwk chrisinchwk wrote:

I have a mildly built 304, headers, edelbrock performer intake and 1406 carb, with unknown mild cam.

I am trying to jet it, it runs good but has a flat spot at partial acceleration. Currently running #8 from the jetting manual, .95 main, .73 x .42 rods with the stiffest springs, 8 inhg. Moved the accelerator pump linkage closest tl the carb. I have tried various combinations with limited success.

If I ease into the throttle I can almost hold it at the flat spot where it seems to feel lean???? If I accelerate a little hrder just past that spot it works flawlessly.

Any thoughts or help would be way appreciated

Chris

We would suggest to put in the Silver or Plain Springs, and why is the calibration at # 8, # 23 would be a bunch better.
#8 is leaner than stock calibration, # 23 is where we (Edelbrock) will suggest!

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
chrisinchwk View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisinchwk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

Originally posted by chrisinchwk chrisinchwk wrote:

I have a mildly built 304, headers, edelbrock performer intake and 1406 carb, with unknown mild cam.

I am trying to jet it, it runs good but has a flat spot at partial acceleration. Currently running #8 from the jetting manual, .95 main, .73 x .42 rods with the stiffest springs, 8 inhg. Moved the accelerator pump linkage closest tl the carb. I have tried various combinations with limited success.

If I ease into the throttle I can almost hold it at the flat spot where it seems to feel lean???? If I accelerate a little hrder just past that spot it works flawlessly.

Any thoughts or help would be way appreciated

Chris

We would suggest to put in the Silver or Plain Springs, and why is the calibration at # 8, # 23 would be a bunch better.
#8 is leaner than stock calibration, # 23 is where we (Edelbrock) will suggest!

Dennis

Trying 23 now. This carb is not original to me, came on the engine. I'll post up the results
chrisinchwk View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisinchwk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 7:59pm
Changed to 23 tune and it runs much better. Still going to mess around with it bit more with the bove info and play with the timing a bit.

Thanks all for the replies
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2016 at 9:17pm
there's a tuning table in the manual.

1406 Manual

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12