TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 232 Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 232 Fuel Pump
    Posted: Sep/30/2016 at 8:40am
Need help to determine the best fuel pump for my 1966 232 (810L25). I'm finding them priced from $15 to $200. (Airtech 6737/Carter M3805). I understand any pump will work as long as it's for a 199, 232 or 258. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2016 at 9:18am
I you have vacuum wipers, you will need a dual diaphragm pump (which has the vacuum booster pump built in).  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
mickt66 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickt66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 10:26am
Did you ever find a fuel pump that worked?  If so what was the pump number and make.I am looking for my 1966 American 199 L6.  Thanks for any help
RickR View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 11:17am
I bought the Airtex part #6737. It worked fine.
dirtydan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 1:11pm
Kanter autoparts will have the correct refurbished pump. I got a dual action pump (fuel+vacuum)for my 69 232 for $120 with a $34 core. The first one they sent me was bad but they have a lifetime warranty so I'm waiting for a new one.

I just finished putting the carquest 6737 pump on to run in the meanwhile and it works fine too. If you have electric wipers it's the way to go. Just $18.

Tarbaby View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 1:52pm
Did I read that right, vacuumed wipers are plumbed to fuel pump vacuumed booster?.I have a 71 Hornet with vacuumed wipers.
Frank Alarcon
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 10:31pm
yes. the vacuum wiper pumps are double pumps. fuel on top vacuum on the bottom. its two independent pumps in one body.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 6:12am
That vacuum booster pump doesn't produce a lot of vacuum. It's there to boost vacuum from the manifold when you accelerate or are pulling hard. Requires a good many rpm to produce much vacuum, doesn't do much at idle/low speeds. It produces enough to keep the wipers moving on hard pulling/acceleration though. They will slow down some, but not stop. Remember, open the throttle and vacuum in the manifold drops...
Frank Swygert
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2017 at 5:58pm
This is another E-10 gasohol problem we face with our vintage AM cars.

Gasohol accelerates nitrile (aka 'Buna N' -trade name) mechanical fuel pump diaphragm breakdown.

Until the aftermarket 'wakes up' and makes a Viton diaphragm conversion kit, I would easily recommend installing one of those 'mini cube' electric fuel pumps as a component part of fully converting your car to run on the new E-10 fuel (gasohol)

For now, you'll need to convert to electric wipers (next question/different topic)

Next, change your oil: it will be fuel-diluted from bad pump diaphragm. Make sure to use favorite filter with no internal bypass. (run 10-40 but 'top up' with 20-50 because ethanol dilution reduces oil viscosity -your old engine was not engineered to run synthetic oil either)

(alcohol fuels increase piston ring blow by but at least your ethanol tainted engine oil will have better filtration)

Save your vintage/historical vaccum operated windshield wiper parts along with the dual action pump: they might make a Viton diaphragm rebuild kit someday.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/02/2017 at 6:02pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2017 at 6:13am
If you run an electric fuel pump you can keep the vacuum wipers. Just loop a piece of hose between the fuel inlet and outlet and keep the dual pump on. No fuel going in so can't dilute oil. If it's leaking oil you can take it apart and disable the fuel pump altogether by removing the fuel diaphragm and connector link and just make a gasket to replace it. Alternately, you can get a big "juice can" vacuum reservoir from a 90s Ford truck or Crown Vic and run that between the manifold and wiper motor. With a healthy wiper motor that will give you 30 seconds or so (maybe a bit more) of wipers. They will slow on hard acceleration, but shouldn't stop. For an occasional driver that seldom sees bad weather that's adequate. For a daily driver that usually encounters rain and snow you will need to go electric... which can be costly depending on what car you have and if you can find original electric parts. You can use more than one "juice can" for added time.  The important thing is to have a healthy wiper motor though. 40+ year old motors usually aren't...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic