TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 Twin Grip Rebuild Video's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2013 at 7:01pm
All I can say is you better have a MASSIVE bench vise bolted down to a heavy table that is lag-bolted to the concrete floor when you try to rotate the case with new clutch packs in it. I have a 5-inch vise and almost broke it clamping it tight enough to the axle shaft to keep it from spinning.

That's with the two-spider limited slip, the four-spider might be easier.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
rusty71sst View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty71sst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2013 at 12:05pm
Hi any videos still available? Thanks Steve in Ga.
amc is the torque master!
rogue_66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2013 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by rusty71sst rusty71sst wrote:

Hi any videos still available? Thanks Steve in Ga.

I'm burning some more copies tonight. Need to print up some more jackets, so by the weekend I should have about ten copies ready to ship. I'll respond to PM's at that time.

Beer
Dean

bertmorton View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bertmorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2015 at 8:33am
PM sent
1969 AMX 390
2002 Corvette
1969 Chevelle SS396
1965 Corvette
2022 RX350
2022 Camry XSE
captscot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2015 at 10:51pm
Hi, Though this post is several years old, your knowledge of the AMC 20 Twin Grip, you than most might be able to answer this question. I have a '72 Javelin with an AMC 20 single grip 2.87 differential. Would it be possible to swap out my differential and put in a twin grip? Your DVD would be a great education to do this procedure.

A second part question, your familiar with the twin grip, I was under the impression that the AMC 20 twin grip contained clutch discs in addition to gears, bearings. Someone right now in the group's Parts For Sale section has a "Twin Grip" for sale with a photo. This looks like only a matter of various gears, no clutches. Is this the correct Twin Grip to put in a 1972 axle/differential case?

Thanks much, Scott
1972 Javelin AMX - orig owner
1985 Grand Wagoneer
1967 Jeepster
1968 Jeep Gladiator
1959 Jeep CJ5
1929 Marmon model 68
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2015 at 12:55am
If you are talking about the one ant has for sale. yes it is a 71 and newer factory twin grip.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2015 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by captscot captscot wrote:

Hi, Though this post is several years old, your knowledge of the AMC 20 Twin Grip, you than most might be able to answer this question. I have a '72 Javelin with an AMC 20 single grip 2.87 differential. Would it be possible to swap out my differential and put in a twin grip? Your DVD would be a great education to do this procedure.

A second part question, your familiar with the twin grip, I was under the impression that the AMC 20 twin grip contained clutch discs in addition to gears, bearings. Someone right now in the group's Parts For Sale section has a "Twin Grip" for sale with a photo. This looks like only a matter of various gears, no clutches. Is this the correct Twin Grip to put in a 1972 axle/differential case?

Thanks much, Scott

Through 1970, AMC used the 2 piece carrier with 4 spiders (Dana Power-Lock). 1971 up, they used the one piece carrier (Dana Track-Lock). Both were sold under the AMC trade name "twin-Grip". The one in the for sale section is the Track-Lock. It has clutches between the carrier and side gears. The trouble with those is the outside clutch rides against the case, and usually if the unit needs a rebuilt the case is out of spec (worn). The one piece units aren't known for their longevity.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Jercos360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jercos360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 3:46pm
I just put a twin grip in and there is a lot of axle play, ateast a 0.25 in! Looking at the open and the posi diffs the open has a much wider thrust block which I believe is why I have so much slop. Is there a part I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 6:51pm
I dont know what you own or what you put in it but the factory twin grip 70 and older is a two piece housing and the thrust block is a small two piece part held together with a 1/8" roll pin it falls out very easy. if you need a picture ask and I will dig one up.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Jercos360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jercos360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2015 at 4:08am
Sorry I have a 70 hornet, I'm putting a 20 from a 71 hornet because I had the smaller rear originally. I got a split case diff from my uncle, so I'm not sure what it came from.
http://youtu.be/MHSVHSoieak
If the link doesn't work I'll load pictures tonight, but that's what my diff looks like. My axles go in to the spider gear center, which is thinner than the thrust block on the open diff which is why I think I have so much axle play.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic