TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AMC 20 rear hub replacement available 4-NON JEEPS?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 rear hub replacement available 4-NON JEEPS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 6:59am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Be very careful here.....V-8 hubs and 6 cylinder car hubs look identical in pictures, but have different bore size. I bought a bunch many years ago, knowing they were 6 cylinder and thought at some point I would set them up and make into V-8.....they were Kenosha find, of course.

They are Matador hubs which are all the same
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

XJ Cherokee, MJ Comanche, and TJ/YJ Wranglers use the smaller 4.5" circle wheels, same as AMC cars. CJ Jeeps use 5.5" circle five lug, and full size Jeeps (Grand Wagoneer, pickup, etc.) use six lug wheels. There was supposedly an AMC 20 used in early HD Comanches, but I've never seen one, and I would think it would have used a one piece hub/axle like the full size Jeeps did, not the two piece like CJs and passenger cars.
1986 Comanches with the Metric Ton package came with AMC Model 20's with one piece shafts, 4.10 gears, with or without a LSD (1 piece case Trac lok).
In 1987 the Metric Ton package switched to D44's in 3.07 or 3.55 gears depending on transmission used behind the 4.0L.

I've never held a Comanche M20 in my hands,
but I've seen dozens of them under different Comanches online,
and the parts books all list them being used for 1986 (only) Comanches.
I thought the factory Comanche one piece shafts "could" be a good replacement for the 2 piece wide body AMC 20 shafts,
but they're pretty tough to find used, and any leftover NOS shafts have long since disappeared, if there ever were any leftover.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 4:25pm
Big cars from 65 on with 232 or 258 six used the AMC 20. Only older big cars with 196 used the AMC 15. I'm not sure about the 66 only 199 big cars (fleet only), but I think they used the AMC 15 for weight savings also.

I don't see why the Jeep 5.5" circle hub couldn't be drilled for a 4.5" circle pattern without welding. You just move over between the holes and drill the second pattern. Any machine shop should be able to do it.
Frank Swygert
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 5:43pm

I don't see why the Jeep 5.5" circle hub couldn't be drilled for a 4.5" circle pattern without welding. You just move over between the holes and drill the second pattern. Any machine shop should be able to do it.

The problem I see is the wheel centering flange. The flange on the Jeep hub would be much larger. It would have to be machined down (or off completely). Then you have nothing but the lugs to center the wheel and brake drum on the hub.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 7:37pm
That could be an issue with some aftermarket wheels, but most factory steel wheels are "lug centric" anyway, and a lot of aftermarket wheels are. I don't think it would be a big issue for most. 
Frank Swygert
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2015 at 8:54pm

That could be an issue with some aftermarket wheels, but most factory steel wheels are "lug centric" anyway, and a lot of aftermarket wheels are. I don't think it would be a big issue for most. 

Wheels probably aren't a problem, but the brake drum is. The lug holes on the drum are generally larger than the lug, and if the drum isn't perfectly centered on the hub, you're going to get a pulsating pedal or spongy brakes. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just going to take some work to get it right.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic