TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 rear Disc brakes 70 AMX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 20 rear Disc brakes 70 AMX?
    Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 7:44am
                                                                   Have a 70 AMX previous owner decided to install rear discs on the factory AMC 20 . This is what I have (all I have) anyone want to guess as to what discs and calipers belong here? What you see is exactly what I have that's it. I know it's not factory . Would like to get the AMX on the road just not sure as to what I have here.
Thanks

Edited by AMX - Apr/26/2014 at 7:17pm
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
1972 Gremlin X 401 4 speed
1973 Gremlin X 304 4 speed
1973 Amx Pierre Cardin A/C 401 Auto
budryzer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budryzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 8:01am
HMMNnnnnn   That's a tough one!!! Hopefully Fuzzface or mr ed will chime in here. Westernred might know as well, Dan and a few others. Just give it a day or so. Might have to get more picks. The axle appears out further than a drum set up. The lug bolts are longer, It would help if you had any stamped # info on the caliper mount?
1968AMX Stroked 369
"UNCLE SAM" tribute
04 H2
04 BMW 325
A/W 95 Ultralight Hobbycopter
85 CR500 x 2 and 13 other open Class Bikes
77 Hercules
Chinook Flt Lead
Prev
1970AMX390/4spSonicw/mask&3Gremm's
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 8:11am
Also check the backing plates for any stamping mark. That might provide some clue as to a manufacture. I could be wrong but as I study the picture I would guess that what ever disc brakes were used they did not have a parking brake. In and of itself that is not a bad thing unless you live in a state that inspects older cars and a working parking brake is a requirement.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 8:51am
                                                                  Here are a couple more pictures. Will look to see if there are any stampings or part numbers on the backing plate and caliper retainer. Thanks for the info so far.
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
1972 Gremlin X 401 4 speed
1973 Gremlin X 304 4 speed
1973 Amx Pierre Cardin A/C 401 Auto
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 9:47am
8.8 ford from an exploror most likely, if you look there is a slot in the backing plate for adjusting the inner emergency shoe. 
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 10:05am
I see no Disc and no Caliper... Wrong Pictures?

The Frontdiscs from an Suzuki Samurai and the Calipers froman Nissan 300Z work great too.
And the Calipers from the Nissan have a Parkingbrake.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/174851-zuki-rotor-nissan-caliper-easy-rear-disk-setup-sorry-mo.html

Edited by SirDigger - Apr/24/2014 at 10:08am
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 3:05pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

I see no Disc and no Caliper... Wrong Pictures?

The Frontdiscs from an Suzuki Samurai and the Calipers froman Nissan 300Z work great too.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/174851-zuki-rotor-nissan-caliper-easy-rear-disk-setup-sorry-mo.html

I may be mistaken here...but wouldn't using the Suzi-Q-Zuki rotors also change your rear lug pattern to 5-on 5.5, as opposed to the stock '70 AMX pattern of 5-on-4.5?  Seems to me that Suzuki rotors would demand a set of Jeep hubs.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 4:01pm
[QUOTE=SirDigger]

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/174851-zuki-rotor-nissan-caliper-easy-rear-disk-setup-sorry-mo.html/QUOTE]

That might work on a Jeep model 20, but not on an AMC car. The Suzuki rotors are 5 on 5 1/2" bolt circle.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 4:30am
Uups i forgot about the diffrent circle Diameters beetween AMC 20 for Jeeps and for Cars. My Fault.

But the Nissan Calipers work great.
Done that conversion to 3 Jeeps,
and their E Break is good up to 36" Tires.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic