TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Amc 20 one piece axle and disc brake conversion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amc 20 one piece axle and disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2018 at 9:53pm
Im sure you'll be fine without welding the tubes. I welded mine and braced the perches just because it was all apart and I have the equipment. I've never had an axle tube spin but I do have a 74 401 powered AMX restoration project for my son and I to start on in the next couple of years that has the left spring perch ripped off the tube. If you look at the factory welds at the perches there is not much holding them on. The axle is looking good by the way!
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
Saz2686 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saz2686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2018 at 11:25pm
Install is complete.

The wilwood parking brake cable kit has a lock nut that does not slide off the end of the cable. I took a thick sawzall blade and cut a slit in the mounting holes wide enough to slide the cable into.

The wilwood proportioning valve was a little time consuming. All fitting inlets and outlets are 3/16" thread. I had to cut off two larger factory flair fittings and install 3/16"

I also moved the valve closer to the front of the car and drilled a new mounting hole. This will allow more room for the switch in back.

I had to rebend lines to enter/exit the bottom of the valve, used to be on top.

Edited by Saz2686 - Sep/09/2018 at 6:56am
Scott - 73 Javelin. 401 engine. T5Z trans. 3.54 posi

Saz2686 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saz2686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2018 at 6:23pm
I am very happy to report a major success. The 3.54 gears with the world class T 5 is a satisfying marriage. Super happy. 1st gear is useful and 5th gear is useable. Just what I hoped for. I could imagine a 3.73 gear set would be fun too. Mind the skinny pedal now!   Ol’ girl is quick to brake em’ loose

As for the disc brakes, they work good. Still dialing in the valve. I can tell you it’s a noticeable difference in stopping power.
Scott - 73 Javelin. 401 engine. T5Z trans. 3.54 posi

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 9:15am
Could you post some pictures of the parking brake brackets and linkage on the backing plate?

I would like to see if these rear brakes could fit a 68 AMX without interfering with the torque links.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic