TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 20 noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC 20 noise
    Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 11:45am
So how much gear noise is too much? It's quiet when I coast and in neutral but noisy under load. The Control Freak suspension is so quiet I'm hearing other noises now plus I do not have any sound deadening material in the trunk and just the pad that comes with a carpet kit. The gear oil is new not synthetic and has friction modifier in it.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 12:06pm
Sounds like the backlash needs to be adjusted. It will cause excessive wear if left alone. The problem is finding a competent shop that can do it right.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 2:26pm
You haven't stated what car but if it is an open drive shaft you might get a feel for if something is wrong with the pinion and crown stuff by wiggling it around to check for movement and excessive back lash.

I had one that had been run low on oil and made noise under load. Changing out just the carrier bearings took all the noise away. 
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 2:50pm
Its a posi AMC 20, 3:15 I put new clutch discs in about 10,000 miles ago.
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
72GremlinKid View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GremlinKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2014 at 7:44pm
Mine makes some noise on load over 50 mph been through 3 different gears and shops and still little bit of noise.
1972 Gremlin X 360/727/AMC20
It's a Control Freak!
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:56am
Typically if backlash is out, it shows up as noise as you gently on and off throttle and the load shifts from one side of the teeth in the gear set to the other.  Noisey under load...is it after the rear is warm???  All the time?   If the pinion gear has been removed previously, the issue may be the collapsable spacer was not done right and the preload of the pinion bearings is off.  Setting the correct load is a real female canine job and usually takes way more effort and torque then most expect.  My 200 lbs son on 8 foot cheater on my 3/4" Snap On Ratchet is scary!!  You must set slow or you will exceed the "running torque value on the bearings" and have to start over.  I know the Jeep group came up with a fixed spacer to replace the collapsable spacer to try and solve this issue, but I have rebuilt 50 + (probably closer to 100) rears from scratch back to exact factory spec and never had issue.  It is really difficult to troubleshoot problems in the AMC 20, if not obvious broken or slop issue!!  Most times I just tear down to bare and start with a known baseline and back together!!  Having all the factory tools and other aids I have built over the years is a must.  I hope this helps. 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 4:28am
I made a tool to set the pinion pre-load I had to use 4' pipes for leverage it's not an easy task.

Tony

BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 9:56am
EGADS! I have a 4 post lift, if I do this with the axle in the car and ratchet strap the car tight to the lift , I wonder if that will give Me enough leverage to play with the pinion nut? The noise is mostly when warm. When I changed fluid a few months ago there were no visible signs of wear. The control Freak suspension is so quiet compared to stock it has led to finding new sounds and drove me to get rid of My electric fuel pump. lol The car is a '70 AMX and the gears as You all know are right behind the seats plus I don't have much sound insulation and nothing at all in the trunk.

Edited by BDCVG - Apr/24/2014 at 10:02am
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic