TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Am I insane?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I insane?
    Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 11:24am
OK, I had an odd question that I took literally, and decided to explain something to answer their question in the proper thread. Since it is body related, this should be appropriate.

Now for my question... Am I the only one to think this is possible?

Exhaust pipes exiting out from behind the wheel, like a 70s Corvette fender exit.

Here is a start of my mod I started way back when I stripped the car. Won't cut holes yet until everything is fitted for true measurements.

I plan on using fans on both sides to pull air from the cowl and pump it over the exhaust pipes and out a contoured port through the back of the fenders. Will seal with a service cover at the kick panel. Yes I will loose leg room but I think I can manage with some slight shifting of the pedals.

I think it is doable as the service port allows for easy access for coupling the segments together. Part of the exhaust segment will exit out near the fire wall and behind the wheel near the rear part of the wheel well in a S curved pipe configuration.

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/20/2017 at 1:11pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 12:15pm
Sorry I made a booboo. Fixed now!

You all should see the image of the cowl box opened up for routing exhaust pipes.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 2:48pm
When it comes to our AMC's others may imply that we ALL suffer from insanity. However, if you're like me, we don't suffer from insanity..........we enjoy it.  

I like your idea. It shows you're thinking outside of the box. 
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by RSX 401 RSX 401 wrote:

When it comes to our AMC's others may imply that we ALL suffer from insanity. However, if you're like me, we don't suffer from insanity..........we enjoy it.  

I like your idea. It shows you're thinking outside of the box. 

Ha! Yep, insanity can be relative. I always have been a bit outside the box. Sometimes it's a mix of practicality and the impractical. If it works out I'd be very happy... and probably have peeps asking me... Are those side pipes real?

I got the idea once I removed the kick panel to see the vent shape. Looks like a near perfect shape to use for side pipe exit. Then after my pedals mod, I realised I can shift things around so I don't roast my left foot.

Having the idea to create 1" more space between suspension hump and engine per side, should allow clearance for custom pipes to snake into position at the fire wall and cowl section.

I could not keep quiet about this idea as I have progressed far enough to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Though, I never put all my chicks in the basket, even when I am just a foot away from exit.

Just needed some body to slap me and wake me up, so to speak. Seems too simple, but that is how I go at times.

Thanks! I should have made a poll. Seems like two of us believe insanity works. Ha!

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/20/2017 at 4:31pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 6:59pm
Corvette  header/side pipes came out under the chassis of C3 Corvettes, not through the body or fender.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Corvette  header/side pipes came out under the chassis of C3 Corvettes, not through the body or fender.

I will search the net for the pipes I am use to seeing in California back in the 70s. They looked like modified C3 pipes but exited 74 to 83 fender vents.

Maybe they were for looks but I swear at least one was functional.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:51pm

Yep, that's correct. Why would you want to eat up footwell space with the exhaust? Let alone bring that heat inside the passenger compartment. Plus the height of the side pipe wouldn't let the door open. Doesn't make cense to me. Confused

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Yep, that's correct. Why would you want to eat up footwell space with the exhaust? Let alone bring that heat inside the passenger compartment. Plus the height of the side pipe wouldn't let the door open. Doesn't make cense to me. Confused

They drop down to side pipe level.

Having enough air being pushed through the cowl should cool enough, plus heat wrap.

Back in the 80s I had real asbestos sheets for wall protection on large cast iron stoves. That would do a cracking job. Ha!

I could not find images, but contacted my mom, as we had a 65 roadster fuelie and a 74 roadster. She reminded me about the side pipes. I was wrong on the years.

Seems like the ones sporting the odd side pipe header are 70 to 72 Corvettes. The vent grill is deleted with a custom kit. Seen one in Monterey back in 83, and the other two in the bay area between 78 and 90. Maybe them kits are rare or shop specific. But they are 70s cool.

I swear I saw a late C3 with them as well, but I am not much into vettes.

Yep my mom was a lead footed mad woman with sporty cars.

So far the scales are weighing heavily on no!

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/20/2017 at 8:16pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Having enough air being pushed through the cowl should cool enough, plus heat wrap.

Back in the 80s I had real asbestos sheets for wall protection on large cast iron stoves. That would do a cracking job. Ha!

I could not find images, but contacted my mom, as we had a 65 roadster fuelie and a 74 roadster. She reminded me about the side pipes. I was wrong on the years.

Seems like the ones sporting the odd side pipe header are 70 to 72 Corvettes. The vent grill is deleted with a custom kit. Seen one in Monterey back in 83, and the other two in the bay area between 78 and 90. Maybe them kits are rare or shop specific. But they are 70s cool.

I am into Corvettes, and that's a new one on me.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 8:36pm

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I am into Corvettes, and that's a new one on me.

Wow, I wish I could find a picture on line... I bet being a niche Northern Cali shop mod, it probably is rare now. Sort of reminds me of Barris builds one off, but I am not insane stating that I seen them.

I would not have had the thought of using the vent hole if I did not know of such vette side pipe option through the vent.

Maybe Dennis in So Cal, may have noticed some odd vette pipes to verify. If anything that area would have had vettes with such an option.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic