TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aluminum Head For 4.0L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 5:58pm
Part number for fully assembled is 50169
OMG_WTH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMG_WTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 6:04pm
Depending on your build the price tag isn't that bad considering. If I was just running a mostly stock 4.0 I wouldn't be able to justify the $1,500 for this head. However, if you are looking for weight savings and the ability to run some pretty decent cfm (high HP build) then the price tag isn't all that bad when compared to a PAIR of decent v8 heads. IMO.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

My wallet let out an "OUCH" when we saw the price tag. lol

LOL, that really is funny 232jav3sp!!!! Ironic, but funny!!!!

A couple of years ago when we asked AMC and Jeep people what they wanted in a 4.0L aluminum head one of the main things people were focused on was price. The Hesco aluminum head sells for $1,800-2,000. People said that we should try to be priced around $1,500.00 if we wanted to sell any. So we did that! Our complete 4.0L head is $1,495.00 at Summit Racing.

Dennis   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

Originally posted by 232jav3sp 232jav3sp wrote:

My wallet let out an "OUCH" when we saw the price tag. lol

LOL, that really is funny 232jav3sp!!!! Ironic, but funny!!!!

A couple of years ago when we asked AMC and Jeep people what they wanted in a 4.0L aluminum head one of the main things people were focused on was price. The Hesco aluminum head sells for $1,800-2,000. People said that we should try to be priced around $1,500.00 if we wanted to sell any. So we did that! Our complete 4.0L head is $1,495.00 at Summit Racing.

Dennis   

What can I say? May wallet says "OUCH" to anything over fifty bucks these days, lol! It really isn't priced too high when you consider it and Hesco are the only ones making them. And, it's brand new, so the price tag is to be expected. You would "think" that it being one head as compared to a pair (v8) that it would be a couple hundred less for a complete head. It does have some nice options, like the heli-coiled holes and thick deck.
OMG_WTH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMG_WTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 8:10pm
"The Menace": I just realized that you are with Edelbrock...Tongue I feel dumb for not realizing that until now, lol. 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 8:18pm
Its costs about 900 to completely rebuild a head and you still have an old head. The edelbrock head sounds like a great deal for $1495.
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by OMG_WTH OMG_WTH wrote:

EagleFreek: Your comment is the first negative comment I have heard about 505. I am actually planning on stopping by their shop here in about a week or two to talk to them about a 5.0L build. 
I don't want to hijack this thread, but search the web and you'll find plenty more.

I don't think the price is bad at all and they will probably sell quite a few. Jeep guys throw thousands of dollars at their axles and suspension. $1,500 won't be much at all to them.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 9:47pm
Performance from the AMC - Jeep engine can be had up to a point on a budget. Either the 4.0 or frankly a 258 and it's variant, the 232. Just like any other engine, V or in-line.
Once you get to that point ultimate performance has a price tag. It also involves a bit of understanding on how to go about achieving your objectives.
Going through the "505" catalog it was evident that hey have some serious modification packages that non only give you HP numbers approaching 2HP/cu inch. And rpm ranges up to 7000 rpm's and if you have an application for that there certainly is a package available. And that can certainly include Edelbrocks new $1500.00 cylinder head for the 4.0 and have it with in an acceptable budget.
Now on the other hand, as some one pointed out, a mostly stock engine probably does not make much sense to purchase that kind of hardware. The last I-6 I built cost $1600.00 or very close to that by the time it was installed. A 258 with a cam and a full rebuild with a "BBD" and capable of passing smog.
And 2 years later and another $3200.00 had fuel injection installed and also passing smog.
It was though, another 4 years later before the answer to why it did not run well was determined.
The fuel Injection was a speed density system based on what the MOPAR Jeep Engine book refers as the 4.0 Power Tech Engine with out giving years and engine application information but a very extensive and detailed section on prepping the engine for off road racing. But I believe it was a 94/95 fuel injection package that was used.
And the problem with it when it came down to it, was the algorithms used to run the engine with were based on a loose, or better said a 2200 rpm stall converter. When that finally saw the light of day and a loose converter was installed, the advantages of the fuel injection package were suddenly available.
I see "505" has what is called a Super Chips 3875 Flashpac package for around #350.00 that plugs into the OBD-II test port with some reconfiguring capability. I have been under the impression that there were no tuning chips for the 4.0 Fuel Injection available with no tuning capability of the electronics other than the capability of retarding the spark.
This leads me to wonder what is the application of this package and would work on my Fuel Injection, a turn key kit marketed by MOPAR at the time and by others. But I have heard little of it for some time.
If that works, maybe investing in that head might have an advantage, but at the present it is straight 258 with a milled head and decked block for 9:1 compression.
But as to budgets? Again reasonable performance can come from an AMC I-6 engine. I am expecting some where around 180 Hp from the 232 I am assembling at the present. Starting with a used but low mileage rebuilt engine it will be equipped with a Carter AFB and an Iskenderian 270HL cam. RPM range will be up to 5000 rpm and it should make a happy little street motor.
It is a budget motor. But then again, it will be street performance. And when the costs are analyzed, it probably will be right around $600.00 ready to run.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Performance from the AMC - Jeep engine can be had up to a point on a budget. Either the 4.0 or frankly a 258 and it's variant, the 232. Just like any other engine, V or in-line.
Once you get to that point ultimate performance has a price tag. It also involves a bit of understanding on how to go about achieving your objectives.
Going through the "505" catalog it was evident that hey have some serious modification packages that non only give you HP numbers approaching 2HP/cu inch. And rpm ranges up to 7000 rpm's and if you have an application for that there certainly is a package available. And that can certainly include Edelbrocks new $1500.00 cylinder head for the 4.0 and have it with in an acceptable budget.
Now on the other hand, as some one pointed out, a mostly stock engine probably does not make much sense to purchase that kind of hardware. The last I-6 I built cost $1600.00 or very close to that by the time it was installed. A 258 with a cam and a full rebuild with a "BBD" and capable of passing smog.
And 2 years later and another $3200.00 had fuel injection installed and also passing smog.
It was though, another 4 years later before the answer to why it did not run well was determined.
The fuel Injection was a speed density system based on what the MOPAR Jeep Engine book refers as the 4.0 Power Tech Engine with out giving years and engine application information but a very extensive and detailed section on prepping the engine for off road racing. But I believe it was a 94/95 fuel injection package that was used.
And the problem with it when it came down to it, was the algorithms used to run the engine with were based on a loose, or better said a 2200 rpm stall converter. When that finally saw the light of day and a loose converter was installed, the advantages of the fuel injection package were suddenly available.
I see "505" has what is called a Super Chips 3875 Flashpac package for around #350.00 that plugs into the OBD-II test port with some reconfiguring capability. I have been under the impression that there were no tuning chips for the 4.0 Fuel Injection available with no tuning capability of the electronics other than the capability of retarding the spark.
This leads me to wonder what is the application of this package and would work on my Fuel Injection, a turn key kit marketed by MOPAR at the time and by others. But I have heard little of it for some time.
If that works, maybe investing in that head might have an advantage, but at the present it is straight 258 with a milled head and decked block for 9:1 compression.
But as to budgets? Again reasonable performance can come from an AMC I-6 engine. I am expecting some where around 180 Hp from the 232 I am assembling at the present. Starting with a used but low mileage rebuilt engine it will be equipped with a Carter AFB and an Iskenderian 270HL cam. RPM range will be up to 5000 rpm and it should make a happy little street motor.
It is a budget motor. But then again, it will be street performance. And when the costs are analyzed, it probably will be right around $600.00 ready to run.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
OMG_WTH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMG_WTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 10:14pm
This is why I will be using the MS3 Pro to handle fuel/spark. My particular build is more of a race car that is a "street car". Dare to be different I guess. Many folks on here will disagree with what I am doing.... but I don't really care. I want to know what the limits of the 4.0 really are. TurboTom took a stab at it and did well.... 505 showed some awesome numbers on a dyno with JP magazine, but the engine never ended up in a vehicle from what I can tell. What I hope to bring to the table at the end of this is a write up on using a stock 4.0L with a Megasquirt box controlling fuel/spark. Before I put in the "good" engine and boost the heck out of it I want to get some good data to share with the AMC crowd. So many times I have leaned on y'all for info and never really had anything to give in return. This time around I hope to give an alternative to those that choose this swap by offering a "base tune" to at least get you up and running and some pointers on what you need for a wiring harness. To me, trying to use a factory Cherokee harness and OBD-1 is a waste of time when you could spend the same amount of time creating a custom harness and have FULL control of the engine no matter the mods (boost, n20, traction control, anti-lag, 2 step, flex fuel, etc.) I really do hope to have some good data for everyone by the end of this year to run a stock 4.0L with a reasonable price tag. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
  Share Topic