TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aluminum Head For 4.0L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum Head For 4.0L
    Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 11:41am
A couple of years ago Edelbrock was looking at doing an aluminum head for the 4.0L but the project was backburnered for other projects. Well, the engineers are talking about this project again so we'll see what happens.

Some of the goals will be to improve flow potential, and make it affordable. If anyone has any constructive input, ideas, or concerns  regarding an aluminum head for the 4.0L, you can send me a PM and I will pass your input along to the engineer in charge of the project.

Edelbrock always likes to hear what people want when designing a new product.

Thanks
  Dennis 
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 2:06pm
I would definitely be interested, if it was affordable. I don't really know what would be possible for them given the small quantity they're likely to sell, but looking at what V8 aluminum heads cost I'd say if they can keep it around $1,000 and get some decent gains I'd be in the market.

If they could do some sort of cross flow head, that would be awesome. I know they've been discussed online from time to time, but I don't know of anyone who actually attempted it. That may be beyond what they're looking to do, and would likely raise the R&D cost and therefore final price quite a bit, but I think it would be cool.

Maybe a more modern 4 valve per cylinder set up? It would mean smaller individual valves, but larger overall openings when you combine the two. I'm throwing out random ideas here, I don't really know how this would work as far as all the ports are concerned.

I'd like to see something radically different, but the truth is if they can get solid performance gains out of a more traditional setup I'd still be all over it.

Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by danleym danleym wrote:

I would definitely be interested, if it was affordable. I don't really know what would be possible for them given the small quantity they're likely to sell,  

The target market is all of the hundreds of thousands of Jeep's (XJ's, Grand Cherokees, and Wrangler's) that were built with the 4.0L. And there are a whole bunch of those still running around.

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 5:56pm
Hesco has developed an aluminum head for the 4.0L and have made some improvements over the iron. One of my favorites is the enlarged pushrod holes so you can remove the lifters without removing the head. I haven't heard anyone review one. It's a little pricey though. http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=44115&catId=7735
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 6:22pm
Edelbrock should make it with modern valve cover technology that won't leak.  As a modern example my 2000 Silverado with the LS engine has 250,000 miles on it with no leaks.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amchornet1970 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchornet1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 6:26pm
the enlarged pushrod holes is an awsome idea...I do this to my iron heads when I remove them. Another thought is to put the  fuel injector holes in the head instead of having them on the intake...closer to the cylinder. Also fill in those casting holes that we all have to fill with j.b. weld. 
Joe
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 Eagle sedan
1993 grand jeep Np242
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/
4.0 Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4.0 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 8:09pm
Great news.
How about a modern heart shaped combustion chamber.
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler
bulletbuilders View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletbuilders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 9:08pm
How about going back to the 258 rocker shafts, for stability? Also roller tipped rockers would be a nice option. Then it would be eaisier for the enginneers to develope a 3 valve head with centralized spark plug location
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 9:25pm
Thats exciting news, as theres no better bolt on.  Id buy it if it were around $1500 or lower. I have a very good port/polish man that needs $750 for a PP job, and that includes a new valve job. Cross-flow and or 4 valve would be stellar, but $$$ not only for head, but all the new manifolds that would be needed. Theyd really be stepping out there for that.   
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2013 at 5:44am
I think a crossflow head could be designed to use the 4.0L manifolds. The intake will mount "backwards" on the other side just fine. Would require some fuel and vac line manipulation though, and may not fit under the hood of a typical Jeep -- that would be the killer there. Four valves per cylinder would be nice, but overly complicated with the pushrod arrangement. I'd say that one is definitely out of the picture. A bit larger valve maybe...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic