TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Altitude Compensator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Altitude Compensator
    Posted: May/03/2016 at 1:08pm
I have some questions regarding carburetors,

The two most common two-barrel carburadors used in VAM cars are the Holley 2300 and the Motocraft  2150 models.

The 350 CFM Holley 2300 was introduced in 1975 as a replacement of the previous 360 CFM Carter ABD model. It was used in all VAM cars with the 282 six from 1975 through 1977.

For 1978, it was replaced by the 325 CFM Motorcraft 2150 model.

It had slightly lower performance but it was easier for the company to pass engine emission certification with it, it was also easier to service by the average mechanic.

However, the strongest point of this carburetor model was the built-in altitude compensator.

This is exactly what I would like to ask.

Is there any type of altitude compensator that can be used for the Holley 2300?

Or, is there any other similar Holley two barrel carburetor model that has an built in altitude compensator?

I have a 1981 VAM Rally GT (Spirit GT) with the Holley 2300 and I would like to have the altitude compensator in my carburetor if possible.

I live in Guadalajara, which is located at 1,566 meters above sea level (5,138 feet). I travelled once from Guadalajara to Manzanillo, Colima with the local VAM club, being a four-hour drive in highway.

Manzanillo is located at sea level, when we got there several of our cars experienced some difficulties. That being mainly difficulties at starting back the engine. Some members could start them again normally, while other did have to check carburetor and ignition timing.

This is something I hope I can avoid if I use an altitude compensator, specially since I would have to make a trip to Manzanillo in my car if this turn out as planed.

Can anyone provide any info in this?

Thanks in advance.

In additional information:

The Holley 2300 was not discontinued when the Motorcraft unit came, it was reserved to the highest performing models, such as the American 06/S, Pacer X and Rally GT.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 1:20pm
I can't verify compatibility with your particular engine, but a Holley 2350 has a built in altitude compensator. It's a proven monster offroad, but it should work for your application. You may be able to get a carburetor adaptor plate and get it to work. What motor do you have in your Rally GT? 
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 3:15pm
Thanks for your response, SeanHatfield.

The engine I have in my Rally GT is the VAM 282 inline six, factory-modified high performance version (172 net HP against the stock 132 net units).

I posted this topic in THIS forum (V8) due to the fact that the three carburetors VAM used in the 282 six are actually the type used in V8 engines. The two-barrel carburetors AMC used in the 258 and 232 engines were for the most part the small-diameter Carter WCD-type units.

I had never heard of the Holley 2350 before, it sounds fairly interesting if it does have an altitude compensator.

If the Holley 2350 has the same base plate as the regular 2300 then it will most probably fit perfectly on top of my intake manifold.

I bought my Holley 2300 new and I really don't have the cash right now to buy another carburetor, much less a new unit.

BUT, if there is a adaptor plate I can use to have an altitude compensator in my 2300 that would be the best way to go.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic