TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Alternator Upgrade Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Upgrade Questions
    Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 10:16am
Looking to upgrade the alternator on my 360 since the old Motorola one from 1971 doesn’t seem to be cutting it.

I am running fuel injection and associated ancillaries, dual thermo-fans and soon to be CSR electric water pump.

Thinking around 140 Amps and internally regulated would be the go.

What are people using and how do you have it mounted. Doesn’t look like the factory bracketry will work with the CSR pump.

This is primarily for drag racing so lots of battery draining short runs.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 11:36am
http://theamcforum.com/forum/motorcraft-alternator-upgrade_topic39960_post363799.html?KW=#363799

Check this thread out..
73 Gremlin
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 6:41pm
Good info there.

Looks like it is a chrome Aeroflow brand  a GM/Delco 120 Amp unit then, pretty much the cheapest thing available on Aussie eBay without getting into used parts. Should get the job done.

The only other thing i want to do is to hook up a relay to the ignition terminal on the starter solenoid to turn off the thermo-fans while the engine is cranking to save a bit of juice.

Oh, and upgrade to a mini-starter.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 12:21pm
A Delco cs130 from an 89 Pontiac Safari is an easy install. By cutting an inch off the back of the pivot base it will mount the same as the Motorola. 

Edited by vinny - Sep/11/2018 at 12:25pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 8:39pm
Pretty sure the one I ordered is an updated version in the 10SI case and will do one or three wire hookup as needed. With the electric water pump, I won't be able to run the Motorola brackets, so will have to make something up anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic